Does my boss have a crush on me or is he simply being nice to me?

So I've started my job rather recently. It's an environment with a lot of employees. The boss in question and I aren't too far apart age wise. He has a live in girlfriend.

At first I didn't quite notice or maybe there wasn't much there. But at some point I've started noticing that one of my superiors enjoyed spending long periods of time with me. Not being inappropriate or anything, just spending a lot of time explaining things that don't pertain to my position. But at some point I would feel like it had been a long time and wanted to go back to what I was doing and he really didn't seem in a rush to let me leave. His tone is always jovial and isn't pushy or clingy, but he continues talking like this.

I've started noticing his presence around me at work. Always at a respectful distance, but noticeable when the tasks to be done permit it. I think I catch him glancing over at me, but I don't want to be caught staring so it makes it kind of hard. But I feel his eyes on me, if that makes any sense.

Then he started telling me how much he enjoyed working with me on different occasions. His words are always carefully measured, polite, not crossing the sleaze or pushy fence. Even though it's kind and polite, there's somewhat of a wistful tone employed.

Every time I see him when I come in to work he lights up always seeming a tad overly happy to see me.

He finds really random work related things to come and chat me up while I'm with other coworkers. He'll include the other coworkers in the conversation but it so often feels a smidgeon awkward, like he feels like a dork for bringing up such an inane subject.

I can practically get away with any mistakes or rule I break (I have high work ethics, I would never cross a major line). I admit to them first hand, though. I'm sure if I did something completely unacceptable I would face the appropriate consequences, on the other hand.

He finds subtle ways to slip into the conversation that I'm a beautiful girl, but again, not in an inappropriate manner. Compliments my work, my smarts also. There are also not so subtle occasions where he looks me up and down a few times just looking impressed, it doesn't feel sexual at all.

Sometimes he says things that fit with the flow of the conversation and the context, but that definitely seem to mean a bit more.

When the conversation is not about something that demands a very serious attitude he always looks at me with a crooked smile. He'll tease me about my facial expressions. He sometimes randomly touches me, but never long enough to appear inappropriate.

He often sits with his legs spread wide in front of me, hands clasped behind the head and I don't know why but I feel an energy shift when he does this but nothing that would be more suggestive than that.

I'm going to skip some other small details like this, you get the idea.

I'm very confused. The attention is of course very nice with it being so respectful, but still somewhat interested. He does not seem to be very happy with his girlfriend, but those were just situations I just happened to see. He doesn't talk about her to me. In fact, he never talks about her when I'm around. Every time to I mention her he seems surprised.

I don't know if he's simply being nice and I'm imagining things. I'm really crap at knowing if someone has a crush on me unless they make me feel uncomfortable.

Thing is, I do enjoy his presence and conversation and he makes me feel so comfortable and I find myself looking forward to our interactions. I almost feel protected?

I don't really care about this job, that isn't the issue. It's just this situation is so confusing. Help? Anyone can tell me what is going on?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

I don't know about crushes but it certainly sounds like he likes you. What that means and what he'd do with it is anyone's guess, but if you're very friendly together, I'd watch out for being isolated with him - business trips, etc. Could be that'd be the time he'd 'make a move.' If you want that fine, if not ....

He probably does have a crush on you because frankly, that's what women men tend to be friendly to. So you'll have to be very careful to keep your boundary firm and not let him cross even the smallest line because unfortunately, crushes from bosses at work don't usually end well for the women involved. Egos, you know.