Q for employers/clients

As an employer/client, when you are considering a candidate for a job/contract, what are your thoughts when you hear that they started off in a completely different career path and made a switch later on (to the path leading to the job they are applying for now)?

A. They are flaky/undecided/not serious about things

B. They must be really passionate about their current career to sacrifice several years starting over

C. Neither, not relevant, all you want to know is how good they are at their current career

D. Other - please elaborate :)

D (Other). In and of itself, the switch doesn't necessarily point to either flakiness or passion in the candidate. They could have been pushed onto a different career path by the company they were working for, due to the company's needs at the time. This happened to me a couple times in my career - but both times it was a good thing, and I kept going in that direction because it brought me success, and because the company seemed pleased with the results.

The answer lies in the candidate's own response to this question ("Why did you switch?") in a face-to-face interview. It's the best way to tell if they're passionate about it or if they just have a flaky wishy-washy personality; you can read their body language, etc. in addition to what they're saying. Also valuable are the candidate's references.

IMO if they're passionate about it, they're more likely to be good at it - and stick with it.

So no I wouldn't hold a career switch (on paper) against them. It takes a lot of courage to jump the tracks.

• Like 1

It really depends on the big picture, how long ago, how much time in position in the area we are hiring for, etc. It is a pretty neutral issue and sometimes it is a plus for the person based on the experience and skills they are bringing from that area.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

As an employer for many years, one thing I can say is that most "successful" employees are usually that way because they have a passion for what they do...It wasn't something they did because they were bored or didnt make enough money in their previous vocation..or needed to change gears...

But then again, sometimes I get guys who arent passionate, but are strictly motivated by money...They can be successful as well, even though they dont have the passion..

I guess its a tough question to answer definitively, Els...Each situation pretty much stands on its own...I guess the only true "red flag" for me is the "jack of all trades, master of none" type...Where they just jump from one thing to the next with no continuity...

TFY

• Like 1

C. Neither, not relevant, all you want to know is how good they are at their current career

I pick C because a contractor’s skills and ability to produce high quality work with minimal training determines whether I hire someone. I don’t care what path they’ve taken to get where they are. Passion doesn’t matter to me either. I hire only contractors and I was a contractor (called consultant for fanciness- ha) for ten years. Productivity is #1.

Before hiring, I give a small project to the applicant, a time frame, and then see how/what they produce. I pay them what I would pay to have the project completed, whether they complete it or not. The majority can not and do not complete it. You might consider offering to do that to prove your ability and initiative.

Edited by BlueIris
  • Like 1