Boss is hot and cold with me = Stressful long

GreenBlueGreen

Early this year my company got a new boss after our other boss transferred. Two weeks after they started they called the co-workers and I in to announce they went through finances and that some people will be put off by the end of the month.

It was slightly stressing and I noticed the new boss after was friendly and approachable to other co-workers. When it came to me the boss would look at me with disdain. I thought I was misreading things so I joined in with a group conversation with the boss and two other co-workers and the boss was laughing and joking. An hour later when I passed the boss I smiled and said hello and they gave a dismissive hello in return. It was then I knew I was on the chopping block.

At the end of the month I hung back to find out if I was cut. Instead after a long day nothing was said and I went home. I got the dreaded phone call with the boss telling me I have been let go from my position but I have been moved to a lesser position with lower hours and pay and that everyone likes me and the boss felt bad for putting me down but it had to be. That when a higher position was open they would put me back there.

I accepted it and said I didn't mind just disappointed. However recently a newer person who was in a lower position then me got promoted to my old position. It really hurt as the boss promised me that they would put me back on. Meanwhile this new person needs to be trained in simple things as photocopying which I have helped them with as an example.

As for the boss, a few weeks ago they were cheerful to me, they even slapped my shoulder and joked. The other day the boss seemed impressed with a presentation I did for the company. I thought things were looking up between us. Then two days ago and today they went back to the disdainful attitude against me. The boss came up to me and in a rude tone of voice tell me that I order everyone's lunch with no pleases or thank yous.

It is driving me crazy how this person can be so cheerful and joking with me one minute and then bitter, ignoring me and making me feel like crap the next. They do not do this with other co-workers, just the other day I saw them laugh and put their hand as a reassuring manner on the shoulder of the co-worker. While they walked pass me and gave me a look like I was dog poo on their shoe.

I know not everyone has to like me but wish he could share some of that friendly attitude with me once in a while.

Any ideas why the boss could be like this.

Edited by GreenBlueGreen
  • Like 1

Start looking for a new job. I'm surprised that your biggest concern is your boss's hot and cold demeanor. To me the most outrageous part of your story is that they moved you to a lower position and then took an employee from a lesser position and with less experience to fill your spot. WTH? That would bother me a lot more then my boss smiling at me one day and then scowling the next.

• Author
GreenBlueGreen

Anika it did get to me but I heard through the office grapevine that finances are running low again and the chopping block hence why it has not bothered me. Because I know the other person will get the chop.

So it made me smile a bit. Well in my old position I did work well with the senior in that department. I didn't know what the senior wanted from me so I guess it was better to put someone else on that has not worked with that particular person then me.

I am just thankful to still have a job even if it is a different department and I enjoy working with the senior staff member that I work under unlike the previous person.

My boss is like this and it's really disconcerting. He's super laid back in person and jokes around, but often sends really terse amd demanding emails that have me on the edge all the time. It's really passive agressive, but apparently he is like that with everyone. I guess he is known for the terse emails, but it's really too much for me. And he wonders why I don't open up to him. Yeah...I don't do bi-polar. I would focus on finding another job if I were you.

• Like 1
  • Author
GreenBlueGreen

Well on Friday I have noticed my former senior advisor was actually talking to me and smiling at lunch. Which was a surprise to me, normally they keep to themselves.

In fact when I went to my old department to give a package which was sent to my current department. My old senior advisor smiled a warm smile at me while Slob face (aka person with my old job) looked me up and down.

My friend said my senior advisor was most likely feeling guilt. Maybe more so since I have worked in other departments of the company and many want me to work for them so I am earning a great rep of being reliable.

As for old boss head. I don't care now, what is the point on dwelling on someone's negative attitude.

Your bosses sound odd, if you ask me. What's with all the patting on the back, etc? I have people under me and while there are some I favor over others, I never let that show. I don't pat any of them on the back, either. For the couple of people I have issues with, it's due to the fact that one of them goes behind my back - although she doesn't know that I know that; and the other one is often incompetent and can make bad decisions.

I think all the hot and cold stuff is ridiculous. I'd tread carefully around them, if I were you because they're not trustworthy.