Is this the right decision?

caseinpoint

I gave up a job because of the long hours and demanding management. It became too much (the workload, the hours and management) to take so I decided to take the opportunity to travel.

I wouldn't say I regret my decision but I'm starting to question it. The foregone income, the uncertainties etc. even though I knew all these before making the decision.

Is there any way I can "tell" if I made the right decision?

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did it turn out?

The nice thing about decisions is that you can change them. If you are feeling uncomfortable do something else, like look for a job.

• Like 1
  • Author
caseinpoint
The nice thing about decisions is that you can change them. If you are feeling uncomfortable do something else, like look for a job.

Good point. Looking forward.

For some reason, I keep wondering about the old job, whether I should have stayed and whether I should go back to it.

acrosstheuniverse

Have you actually travelled yet? Your post will be more clear then.

Sounds like you're having some reservations, although it's only natural when you consider what you've given up. Our society prioritises work, status and money... indeed, we need money to survive, so it's no wonder you're starting to wonder if you did the right thing when it means giving up a steady income!

Of all the people I know who travelled, not one person regretted it that I can tell. As long as the decision was a sound one and the person had a plan and enough money before taking the plunge.

Perhaps if you give yourself an end date when you'll start looking for jobs and settling down again you'll feel much more able to enjoy the time you have off? It must be scary to be thinking of an open future not knowing what it'll bring, but if you tell yourself that in three, six, twelve months time you will start job and apartment hunting again maybe it'll be easier to appreciate travelling without worrying about what you're gonna go back to. You obviously hated your old job enough to wanna leave, what makes you think you should return to that? There must be other positions in your field somewhere, even if they start on less money?

• Like 1
  • Author
caseinpoint
Have you actually travelled yet? Your post will be more clear then.

Sounds like you're having some reservations, although it's only natural when you consider what you've given up. Our society prioritises work, status and money... indeed, we need money to survive, so it's no wonder you're starting to wonder if you did the right thing when it means giving up a steady income!

Of all the people I know who travelled, not one person regretted it that I can tell. As long as the decision was a sound one and the person had a plan and enough money before taking the plunge.

Perhaps if you give yourself an end date when you'll start looking for jobs and settling down again you'll feel much more able to enjoy the time you have off? It must be scary to be thinking of an open future not knowing what it'll bring, but if you tell yourself that in three, six, twelve months time you will start job and apartment hunting again maybe it'll be easier to appreciate travelling without worrying about what you're gonna go back to. You obviously hated your old job enough to wanna leave, what makes you think you should return to that? There must be other positions in your field somewhere, even if they start on less money?

I haven't started the traveling though have made plans. Just left the job.

You're right - there are quite a few issues that led me to leave. It's not the first time I've left the same job, where I'm somewhat well regarded. The hours are atrocious and people there are always on edge because the goalposts are always moved. So I decided life should be more than this. But now that I've done what I set out to do, I wondered if I made a wrong decision on hindsight to give up something which provides me with stability and perhaps some progression in time to come. That is, if I choose to stay there for long.

Job hunting is never easy (knew that before but it hits me now) and that's why I feel a little insecure now.

The strange thing is I come from a reasonably comfortable family but I feel insecure about finances.

pink_sugar

I have had many feelings of possible regret. I think you might be afraid of regretting it, but if we don't make decisions out of fear of regretting it, you never really know if you missed out on a great opportunity. In the long run, usually what prompted you to make a change usually means you were not happy with something and therefore should not regret it. Sometimes I wonder if I didn't leave a certain job for a well paying job that ended up letting me go, if I would have been forced to leave my home and move away. But sometimes the change in the long term leads to better opportunities.

PhillyGuy4046
I have had many feelings of possible regret. I think you might be afraid of regretting it, but if we don't make decisions out of fear of regretting it, you never really know if you missed out on a great opportunity. In the long run, usually what prompted you to make a change usually means you were not happy with something and therefore should not regret it. Sometimes I wonder if I didn't leave a certain job for a well paying job that ended up letting me go, if I would have been forced to leave my home and move away. But sometimes the change in the long term leads to better opportunities.

True, i took less money for stability two years ago and now I feel good

• Like 1