LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Possible freelance work

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By loveweary11
  • 1 Post By loveweary11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2015, 4:45 PM   #1
Established Member

Possible freelance work

So I connected with a company who might be interested in some of my services. As a client, I happened to be talking about what I did for work and they said they could possibly utilize my services and asked what my rates were. Now, I have done freelance work twice. The first woman I worked for didn't let on that her intent was to pay under the table. Last year, I worked for another guy who just had me fill out a W-9 in case I made over $600. My question is, is it up to the business to have me fill out a W-9 and bring it to them? Or should they be asking me for this info? If not, what info do they need? Also, how do I decide what is a reasonable charge for services? The last people I performed services for decided what they paid me on an hourly basis. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pink_sugar; 18th June 2015 at 4:47 PM..
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 5:24 PM   #2
Established Member

As a freelancer, it's a 1099 you will mostly be operating under.
loveweary11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 8:10 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveweary11 View Post
As a freelancer, it's a 1099 you will mostly be operating under.
Ok great. Would I expect the company to 1099 me or am I the one responsible for handling all of that?
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 8:57 PM   #4
Established Member

They file the 1099 MISC on you, notifying the IRS of your income as a contractor (rather than an employee).

This is treated as income in your filing of your own taxes.

Take a look at this link. There is a bit more to it than typical W4 employment. More tax work on your end if not under the table.

Specifically, don't feel like the $$$ you get from the place as a contractor is your net income because it's not even close after you pay employment taxes on yourself and income tax as well.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF19989.html

In other words, pad out your consulting fees to account for the substantial taxes.
loveweary11 is offline   Reply With Quote