boss's BS on our web puts me in bad spot, long sorry

My boss constantly "puts the cart before the horse", and lies about the real capabilities of our company. We are still growing, productitivity wise and financially. We are expanding internationally and upgrading our plant and it is very costly. That is fine, because our future potental is very exciting, but he talks and acts like we are more than we really are at this point in time. Now, he finally finished our web site, and asked me to critique it and give him my input. There are many embellished and misleading statements about our company that it is embarrassing.

The real problem, I am the sales dept, me alone, and when the calls start to come in regarding some of the things we claim to do on our site, but really don't I have to figure out how to get around it. I'm pretty good at the double talk, and can usually get thru something he has done in the past that comes back to haunt us, but how do I say, "I'm sorry, we really can't do that at this time" when it is in big bold letters on our web? He has done this before, and it has cost the company alot of money to back up his false promises. I am here to turn things around, but everytime I make headway, he pulls something else! When I confront him, he just smiles and says I know, but we are almost there! Like in orgasms, almost does not count! My boss is a very nice guy, so optomistic about the companies future because he has been chasing this dream for yrs and our final goals are so close to coming to fruition, but we are just not there yet, and I am fighting to try and turn our reputation around from some of his antics. It is a very small, specialized industry, everyone knows everyone, and talks about each other. I'm not going to have my name soiled. There have already been a few incidents where a customer blamed me for something that my boss pulled and I had no control over, the word gets around! I am reading thru our site and getting a knot in my stomache. He didn't even address the changes I reccommended. Advice please.

I have been in a position somewhat similar to yours when I worked for a software support center and would occasionally get a call from a customer wanting to know how to implement a feature that was promised by the salesperson. While I did have to explain to the customer that the feature is not available yet, if they were upset, it would ultimately get kicked back to the salesperson who would lose the commission on the deal.

You are in a tougher spot because your boss does not see the ramifications of overpromising. I imagine he probably came from a sales background. I would do everything I could to let him see what happens when things go bad. Just bring it up frequently. And while I hate passing the buck, I would say the next time you have a really upset client, ask if they want you to escalate the call to your boss. Then tell your boss that the customer demanded to speak to him. Maybe he'll understand the frustration you feel when the advertising is not 100% truthful.

If he does talk to the customer, then suggest or draft up a proposal of what you think the website should have said to prevent this. Tell him you can still list the benefit or feature, just advertise it as a goal or in development that is just around the corner, instead of something you currently offer. Talk to him in terms of it hurting the company image and profit. Never mention that you hate taking these complaints, because he may think that you just don't know how to deal with it. Focus on how you think your suggestions would help the company. It sounds like you are already doing this, but since he is a positive person, he doesn't want to hear negativity. Focus on the positives of a good company image and high customer satisfaction. Every company benefits from that.