Urgent - xmas party mistake needs fixing!

Hi, I am a lawyer and have worked in a large firm for about 3 years now. I am a hard worker and good at my job. Unfortunately, after getting very drunk at the xmas party last week I decided to come back to the office with a colleague and drink the free alcohol here. We made a bit of a mess then left.

This was obviously a serious breach of policy and security. My boss found out and although no one has said anything to me yet, I am sitting at my desk waiting for the call to his office. He is in meetings all morning, so it looks like a few hours of torturous wait. Pretty much everyone knows about it, I just feel so humiliated. And scared. I don't know what to say to him, how to excuse myself. It was just a stupid mistake.

Any advice on how to handle this situation?

see this is why everyone says only have one or two drinks at the company xmas bash,

this is what you say, tell your boss you are humiliated, don't know what to say, and that it was a stupid mistake THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.

then you make SURE it does not happen again.

What kind of mess did you make? Did it involve any used condoms :love: or vomit :sick: ? Or maybe both :love::sick: ?

I would grab the bull by the horns and ask for an appointment at your boss' earliest convenience. Then tell him what happened, how sorry you are, and how you will prevent a repeat. You're a professional advocate, so you ought to eb able to make a good case for yourself.

I agree with Solemate - the best defense is a good offense - better to fess up and make amends rather than wait to be brought in and flogged (or fired).

the alcohol was free...

apologize for the mess, and then clean it up if it wasn't already.

by mess do you mean bottles on the floor, or you trashed the place?

if you trashed the place, expect to lose your job.

if not, chill. everyone knows what happens at christmas parties. if they didn't want people to drink they could have avoided having alcohol at the party, or gave everyone a limit.

I have a feeling that this is one of those professional conduct breaches that are more strictly enforced in professions like law, accounting, or medicine. Perhaps sinner/immoralist would be the best qualified to dispense advice on this one - and here, it's free :cool: