My dad is too strict

I am 15 years old. I am almost 16, and my dad doesn't let me do what a normal teen would do. He doesn't let me see my b/f that much. I get to see him 2 times a week at the most. He is only 17. How can i get my dad to let me do more. He won't ever sit down and talk to me. Please give me some advice.

• Author

I don't live with my mom so, she can't really say anything. I have only lived with my dad for a year now. When i very first moved in it was nice, but it is not the same anymore. He treats me as if I am 10, But i am going to be 16. I have a stepmom, but she can't make any decisions for me my dad is the only one that can. She gives me some advice all the time, but she doesn't have any for my dad being to strict.

I hate that cliche' that step parents have no say about how to raise their step kids. That's just wrong!!!!

But really. I have 2 daughters, they aren't anywhere near 16 yet, but I can see where your dad is coming from. He's thinking about what kind of trouble you could get into. I understand that you're probably a level headed person, but fathers will always be more protective over their daughters and allow the boys more freedom. I think that Kelso on That 70's Show said it best:

"It's not fair! You women get to have all the sex you want and not have to worry about getting anyone pregnant!"

savethedrama4allama

Sometimes parents aren't rational, they are people too and they aren't perfect. Twice a week sounds pretty good to me, but I do think he should at least sit down with you and explain what the rules are and why. Is there another adult you're close to that can perhaps talk to your dad about communicating with you?

• Author

Yes I am level headed. My dad won't sit down and have a serious conversation with me. Everytime I talk to him, everything that I say just goes through one ear and out the other. I mean I am still a virigin and alomost 16, he has nothing to worry about.

I admire your goal, and I hope that you are able to keep it.

You see, us adults, (If you can call some of us that), believe that no matter what our children say to us, and tell us what their true intentions are, we ignore them. Some of the reasons why is because we've said it before ourselves and have failed. We also know that life doesn't give us all a fair shake and even though we have the very best of intentions, things do happen.

Your Father loves you and you're probably the most precious possesion he has. He's only looking out for you. I too think that 2 times a week is plenty. I mean, you still get to phone him right? My 16 year old only sees his girlfriend once a week at Church. But I put in a 2nd line in his room because his ear is glued to the thing from the time he gets home to the time he goes to sleep.........ahhhh, those were the days!