I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut

So I have been working in an office for 6 months now. I am starting to get my bearings on going from college student to full time worker in a business setting. Its tough. I am always on social media, which is a staple for young people. Recently, I have noticed some funny things that will happen in the office and I am dying to share. Its just a gut instinct. I can tell when something happens if it will make other people laugh. Yesterday we had a client come into the office and say some really wacky things. I decided to post it on facebook. I didnt say who it was, because I knew it was crossing the line. I just said that I had a meeting today and the person said that they ......."

And I just said the funny statement that was said. People on facebook loved it and I was getting a lot of hits. I liked the attention. I didn't think anything of it, until I talked to my parents and told them the story. They thought it was funny until I told them I posted it on social media. They scolded me and told me it wasn't professional and that if anyone ever saw that from the office I could be in trouble. I didn't think it was a big deal, since I didn't disclose detailed information, but I guess it was. I deleted the post.

Then today my boss got a call from a government official. I thought it was funny. Our office is so opposite stuffy government suits. Well I posted on social media that "a government suit called today and probably knows all about my office."

I thought it was exciting and it didn't anything away. I didn't have anything else to give.

Then people started loving the post. They thought it was so funny. People started commenting that I was going to be kidnapped in my sleep tonight. A few of my military friends started commenting that they would put flowers on my grave. And how they would be giving a awesome eulogy of my life.

This got me thinking. I didn't realize my post was anything in particular. It meant nothing to me. It was funny. Others found it funny. My military friends were joking about it.

I asked one of my friends what they thought and they said they didn't think it was anything important. Its not like I had some top secret government clearance or anything.

I eventually deleted this post as well.

I love the attention I get from them. I know what gets attention, but maybe I shouldn't be putting things about my office. I didn't even realize. I hope my military friends don't think I'm a stupid woman, because they have to keep some sense of confidentiality. I don't think my post was anything special. My parents scolded me again for being stupid and told me I could lose my job if this got out to people I work with.

I'm super stressed now. I didn't even realize what I was doing. It was all in fun for me. People laughed. My military friends made fun of it and me. I don't know what to think of it.

If I were to catch an employee sharing office stories on social media, they might get two warnings before being let go. I'd be very careful. Sounds like your parents give good advice.

• Like 1
  • Author

I didn't realize how it was coming across. To me it was normal. I think I got caught up in wanting attention by posting interesting stories. I now know I cannot do it anymore. I don't want to jeopardize my job. I think I posted just because it was so second nature to me. I have been posting a lot of stuff for years. My job is just another part of my life I can post. I now know I cannot mix the two. I cannot post things about my job. Its my job, and I need to be professional. I feel so guilty and bad now. Even though I have gotten rid of a both of the posts, I feel like people saw them and think I am stupid. Though many commented and thought they were funny. I am embarrassed. I am beating myself up over it. How could I have been so naive?

Hopefully you've got away with it this time - just remember never to post about work again.

Remember also that companies will check up on social media before offering someone a job these days.

I have also known people be employed and then let go of due to past posts which were not even work related.

Your parents gave you good advice.

I hope you are not posting anything on social media during work time and only during your official breaks.

• Like 1

As an employer, if I saw even a hint an employee was talking about work on social media you would be fired.

Work is work. Not play. Not fodder to entertain your friends. If you can't see that or understand that I certainly don't need you in my business. Discretion & privacy are important. My husband worked for employers who point blank said he was prohibited from listing their info on his profile.

You're right to free expression only protects you from governmental censorship. My right to free association says I get to chose who I want to give a pay check to (within certain limits).

Post anything you want about your friends. But leave your employer's business off your social media feed -- good or bad.

• Like 2
  • Author

I do not think what I did was right. I am glad I saw reason and now know not to do it again. But my work isn't stuffy and strict. Some of my co workers make personal calls during the day. Others are online browsing for a fruit basket to send to their sick relative. We have an hour lunch break, one of which I don't even use. We get paid to have lunch. My boss is very lenient with people. Lets people leave early when they want. Its a professional office though and I need to respect that. Its hard going from a student where you face booked every funny thing someone else did, to then a worker where I need to keep some sense of confidentiality. I still think of myself as a young student. At the time, I didn't see anything wrong with it, but now I see that it was immature.

whichwayisup
They scolded me and told me it wasn't professional

You posted about your job (situation, no details to identify people) once and got scolded. You did it again and now you're in trouble. You were warned but ignored it, down played it and loved the attention you got on facebook, yet you put your own professional career at risk by not listening or caring what your boss told you NOT to do, then you went ahead and did it again.

Its hard going from a student where you face booked every funny thing someone else did, to then a worker where I need to keep some sense of confidentiality.

Lesson learned. Remember you are being paid to do a job, not go on fb and spill stuff about your job and others.