lie detector test before getting job

Has anyone else had to take a polygraph exam as a pre employment requirement? Or taken a polygraph exam in general?

I noticed that the job I am hoping to apply for after getting my degree requires that. It makes me a little nervous since I have never taken a lie detector test before and wonder what sorts of questions they might ask. I am not a liar and do not plan to lie during the exam.

Does anyone have experience with polygraph exams? What kinds of questions should I be prepared for?? Any advice?

Thanks!

You must be applying for a government job? All federal, state, and local government agencies require polygraph screening for job applicants. But private companies can't -- if they do it's illegal and you can sue them. The reason you are subjected to the polygraph test as a job applicant for a government job is for your security clearance privilege, should you be hired, since you'd be dealing with classified information. As far as the types of questions, I have no idea as I've never had to take a polygraph test.

I've had a few polygraphs. Usually, I did very well, but the last one I agreed to take, it told me I was lying about what my name was! Obviously not! So I declined them from there on out, knowing something could make me give a false reading.

It's going to be about drugs and drinking, probably both on the job and off, and about stealing. Best to just be honest. Not every employer cares that much what you do on your own time, but they all care about stealing. And lots of them do care about the other stuff to varying degrees.

I have a completely speckled past but I passed a security clearance investigation by the FBI for one job I had -- and they did not polygraph, but it wasn't a government job either. It was a job where I would have access to large amounts of money on a multidaily basis. They didn't seem to care about anything prior to 10 years prior. I know a punk rocker who has held high security clearance for decades because his work is classified. So it really depends on the boss's personal agenda more than anything else. Most people have something questionable in their past, so you may look better than other people who might have, for example, shoplifted in junior high. But if you come up deceptive, it's the kiss of death, so just tell the truth.

• Like 1
I've had a few polygraphs. Usually, I did very well, but the last one I agreed to take, it told me I was lying about what my name was! Obviously not! So I declined them from there on out, knowing something could make me give a false reading.

It's going to be about drugs and drinking, probably both on the job and off, and about stealing. Best to just be honest. Not every employer cares that much what you do on your own time, but they all care about stealing. And lots of them do care about the other stuff to varying degrees.

I have a completely speckled past but I passed a security clearance investigation by the FBI for one job I had -- and they did not polygraph, but it wasn't a government job either. It was a job where I would have access to large amounts of money on a multidaily basis. They didn't seem to care about anything prior to 10 years prior. I know a punk rocker who has held high security clearance for decades because his work is classified. So it really depends on the boss's personal agenda more than anything else. Most people have something questionable in their past, so you may look better than other people who might have, for example, shoplifted in junior high. But if you come up deceptive, it's the kiss of death, so just tell the truth.

what if you stole something at like, 10?

• Author

I will be applying for state and county positions until I get hired somewhere. They all say a polygraph is required. I am hoping to get a position as a juvenile probation counselor or a juvenile corrections officer. I have been going to school to obtain the necessary degree to be qualified for these positions. I guess I will just have to tell the truth & hope for the best.

I admit I do not have a completely spotless record. However nothing on my record has ever been an issue for me getting jobs & I have always passed background checks and I also passed the FBI background test required for in home daycare licensing. Anything negative they might see on my record is from about 10+ years ago. I am hoping they might see it as a positive thing that I might be able to identify with troubled young people because I myself have been through a few rough patches when I was younger.

I will be applying for state and county positions until I get hired somewhere. They all say a polygraph is required. I am hoping to get a position as a juvenile probation counselor or a juvenile corrections officer. I have been going to school to obtain the necessary degree to be qualified for these positions. I guess I will just have to tell the truth & hope for the best.

I admit I do not have a completely spotless record. However nothing on my record has ever been an issue for me getting jobs & I have always passed background checks and I also passed the FBI background test required for in home daycare licensing. Anything negative they might see on my record is from about 10+ years ago. I am hoping they might see it as a positive thing that I might be able to identify with troubled young people because I myself have been through a few rough patches when I was younger.

Probably if you passed the daycare thing, that is at least a sign you will line up okay on working with young people. And I do agree that being a troubled teen who has survived ought to be a plus rather than a minus for counseling purposes, but not sure the government will feel the same way! I doubt it. Still, it's over 10 years ago.