Best way to hire a web pro.....

thefooloftheyear

Im starting a new side company and it will heavily involve web exposure...Mainly maintaining a basic web page, Loading photos and such, and various exposure to different forms of social media..

I know little to nothing of this, nor would I even know how to find someone for this type of position or how to fairly compensate them..:o

What would be the best way to locate someone for this? I dont think it needs to be a full time employee at this time, id rather farm it to an outside contractor...the right type of person may even be able to do this from home or on off hours..Im flexible here....

Anyone with experience care to guide/advise...

Thanks in advance...:)

TFY

IMO, an a la carte contractor/service would probably be most cost-effective, similar to how you hire legal and finance help. One method of discovery is, when surfing the web, if you come across a site which 'fits' in style, speed and user-friendliness, look for the developer information; it's usually somewhere, either blatantly on the page or in the code, and contact them.

One of my car buddies codes for the very smooth and popular user interface on Amazon and it's afforded him quite a car collection and a rural Maryland estate to store them. Like you suggested, he does a lot of work from home but his company still does have bricks and mortar office that he goes to a few times a week.

Get some bids and compare costs versus benefits. A professional service should be able to provide metrics from past jobs or comparable sites to indicate the potential of the ideas you wish them to implement. Then you decide.

What I found, personally, is such potentials vary by demographic and business focus. If one can market widgets and present them in a manner which impels sight-unseen purchase, like Amazon built its platform on, web sites work great. They can also be an advertising anchor for business which doesn't occur over the web or by electronic means.

Most of my business is face to face and unique circumstances and items, custom made to individual specs so it doesn't lend itself well to web-based business but I coded a site nearly two decades ago to have a presence on the then new internet. Maybe someday it'll come in handy. For now, it's an information portal to direct real world clients to.

Good luck with your new venture!

• Like 1

I'd begin by networking a bit and asking around your friends and business contacts. Craigslist is also an option, if you're in the U.S. I have a friend that does this sort of thing on the side in his free time. He's an architect, but is knowledgeable about web design and has created a couple dozen websites for people. He doesn't really advertise because it's not something he needs to do, but if I knew someone that needed some web site work, I'd refer them to him or ask him about it.

If you're looking for someone that does this more professionally, I'd look at the websites of your business contacts and see what you like, and then ask them who they used. Most of these people will have a portfolio of work to show you.

• Like 1
  • Author
thefooloftheyear

Thanks for the replies...Already got this ball rolling...Does anyone know what is the customary rate of pay for someone to fill this position.? Seems like some of the numbers are all over the place...??

BTW, I do live in a very high cost of living area...

TFY

If you are using a page like Elance remember that you are worldwide and the costs go down if you have web designers from India or the like work on it.

You can also specify your job to be by the hour or a final cost and pick people that fit it.

On Elance you post your job and have people bid on it.. so they say they will do it for xx.xx and in so many days.. some even provide samples of their design for you to pick them.

If you are going to use someone local then a simple good looking website of maybe sevral categories and many images should cost 1k to 1.5k.. maybe less if you want it to have a templated look

If your website is complex and requires ecommerce it could go in upwards of 5-10k.. my own company's website cost several thousand dollars to design and program..

• Like 1

Go to your nearest tech college and post an ad on the board in the student center and dorm lounges.

A lot of those kids are short on cash and have the latest knowledge.

• Like 1
Im starting a new side company and it will heavily involve web exposure...Mainly maintaining a basic web page, Loading photos and such, and various exposure to different forms of social media..

I know little to nothing of this, nor would I even know how to find someone for this type of position or how to fairly compensate them..:o

What would be the best way to locate someone for this? I dont think it needs to be a full time employee at this time, id rather farm it to an outside contractor...the right type of person may even be able to do this from home or on off hours..Im flexible here....

Anyone with experience care to guide/advise...

Thanks in advance...:)

TFY

The way I did it, took a bit of time but worth it, is I went on Facebook, and checked out web designers but for WordPress. Got to know some of the web developers, found which ones I clicked with, and asked about what they want in return while showing what I want to do.

I know a guy very good at designing and building websites for WordPress. Got his own graphic designer too who designs website layout. If you need a contact let me know, and you can go and check his site out, as I don't know if you can leave links here.

I tried Elance and guys from india, but wasn't happy on quality and though it's cheaper, I rather pay much more for quality. And I like take time to know the web designer and developer.

• Like 1