Dealing with Moody Co-Workers!

What is the proper way to handle those difficult, moody co-workers who don't confront you about an individual work-related problem and bad attitude?

I'm asking because yesterday after I returned from class and lunch, I was told by my supervisor he received a letter from one of our tech co-workers stating she is tired and has had her wits end for being patient about a lot of so-called "work that's to be done." Apparently, she feels like she is the one who has to finish off everyone's unfinished tasks and is beyond tired of it. I admit there was a time a couple of Fridays ago when I had personal leave and left work early. We were rebuilding one of the computer classrooms, and a workstudy co-worker and I were fastening the surge protectors under the tables. I was fastening them correctly, but I actually didn't really take the time to show our workstudy how to do it properly. We left at the same time. Then, 1.5 weeks later (yesterday), I found out she was just really perturbed about having to re-do those surge protectors, and she was upset with me about it. Ooops... I hold responsibility for not taking the time in showing the workstudy how to do it, but there should be a little more empathy or question directed to me, don't you think?

Now, I would've appreciated having been told this to my face personally instead of letting it fester on my co-worker and blowing up to our supervisor. Because of this, and among other little work-related issues, we techs are getting together next Tuesday to hold a mini meeting about discussing these situations and how to improve.

It's not as much as this meeting that's a pain, but it also deals with this co-worker's BAD attitude. She's moody, she's intimidating, she's temperamental, and she's also inscrutable when it comes to these never-ending moods. Surely, she's not ALWAYS in a bad mood, but sometimes she gets to the point where she just finds something to blame in everyone BUT her, it seems.

How I describe her as a person, per se? She's like an egg. She's tough on the outside, but if you crack her outter shell, you can get to her soft, sensitive inside. She can be a very sensitive person inside and cries. However, she can protray an incompassionate soul. I have had close talk-talks with her, as she and I used to be close. Since a new co-worker came in, they clicked and became best friends. Now, this moody co-worker seems to have little patience for me and others in our job, and they became clique-y workers where it seems they "always do everything."

All in seriousness, how do you deal (or have dealt) with such a person? I'd like in a non-challant manner bring up how her bad attitude is affecting everyone. Other instructors have told me how she has come across them as rude. She seriously needs to have a better handle at dealing with situations. Her communication is quite temperamental!!

To top it off, we're going to have a group meeting among the six of us discussing work-related issues, so I want to know the best way to bring up her poor attitude in a professional manner.

Oh, yes, at this mini meeting we are encouraged to bring up work-related issues along with solutions for them. I am mentally thinking of them and will type them up to present. This mini meeting will be just us five techs and our supervisor.

One point my supervisor brought up about this co-worker is she feels she is "always" having to finish off everyone's unfinished work or not-done-correctly work. While that's true sometimes, I don't think it's fair of her to say it's ALWAYS true. That's like saying she's perfect and never makes mistakes. My supervisor IS aware of her bad work attitude, and he knows how moody she can get. He wanted to propose this meeting to see if we can come to an agreement or understanding in helping one another work together and efficiently.

She never used to be THIS moody, actually. There was a time before this year when she'd have a lot more patience and even didn't act very clique. I think that changed ever since she became best friends with another co-worker. That's what I think, but of course, I would NEVER bring it up like that in a work environment. I just acknowledge it.

I would consider a confidant because before she became best friends with this co-worker, she and I used to talk-talk and confide. Now, it's rare or often over-looked. She's still somewhat a friend, but I am treating her more like a co-worker acquaintance because it's exhausting trying to figure out when she's in a "good mood" or in a "I'm working" mood. This is getting tiring, so it's not getting worth it.

Well first of all, you're not the office martyr and haven't been tasked with setting this woman straight, so to speak, for the benefit of everyone. Your one and only concern is how she treats you as you're not the supervisor of the department and not responsible for any other employee. You stated your supervisor is aware of her current disposition and is holding a meeting on how best to handle her in upcoming situations. Sounds like your supervisor has everything under control.