Don't Fire Me

SycamoreCircle

I've worked at a busy, trendy restaurant in NYC for the past 4 years. My schedule has been pared down to nothing. I called and spoke to a manager who informed me they'd like to talk to me in person. Other managers will be present. Of course, I know what this means. They told me I was being taken off the Winter Schedule. But I have seniority and they're keeping less experienced employees who do school and aren't as committed. I said to the manager, "you're letting me go?" Hesitation. "Yes." "Why? I'd like to understand what's at the heart of this." She responded with some corporate speak and mentioned something about lack in performance. Bullsballs.

She also said it was nothing personal, that they just didn't have enough positions.

On the advice of a previous manager (who was solid as a rock and was fired through the machinations of this one Manager whom I suspect is at the center of this), I am planning to deliver a little speech BEFORE any of these managers who "collectively" reached this decision begin.

Here is the speech:

Before this begins, I’d like to say something:

My understanding is that I’m being taken off the Winter Schedule.

-I’ve worked as a Food Runner professionally close to 10 years, almost 4 here.

-I’m always on time.

-I’m honest to a fault. I’m not greedy or selfish.

-I’ve never been written up and there’s never been an issue.

-I always do what I’m told. I strive to not have to be told to do anything.

-Last week, I came in to cover for someone, on a dime.

-I love my job and I believe in what we do here. I told a new hostess the other day that this was “the best job I’ve ever had.”

-My service is excellent. I’ve been praised in comment cards. Customers have told me my food descriptions make the food sound so delicious. I answer any question posed to me. I know the menu and food preparation process thoroughly and enjoy giving tours of the kitchen. Regulars have crushes on me.

-I have good relationships with everyone here and do nice things for people. Over the summer, I organized some extracurricular group outings. When the paycheck debacle was happening, I wrote a heart-felt conciliatory note to S.(the owner), for her pain. I’ve reached out personally to people I might otherwise not be close to during their times of suffering. I’ve tried in very simple ways to resolve problems I recognize between other staff members,

-I’ve got a whole kitchen of people, Head Chef, Executive Chef, etc. who will stand behind me as a strong and valuable work asset. People who have told me that “man, C. whenever you come in, I know it’s going to be a good shift, because you make the night go by smoothly, make me laugh and have a good time”. I’m a glue in that kitchen and I boost morale.

Lastly, I wish to make an emotional appeal. This year I lost someone very close to me. It was, without a doubt, the most emotionally traumatic thing I have ever gone through. I went away for a month, to Turkey, with permission, to sort through the after effects of that loss. It’s still very real and something I deal with on a day to day basis. It has caused me to have to reevaluate some other important relationships in my life. Consequently, I’ve been very vulnerable and alone this year. Throughout all this, Restaurant has been my sanctuary, my refuge. A place where I can go to feel respected around people I respect. In short, it has saved me.

I don't understand what this is about. I'm being honest about everything. My only suspicion is that a few weeks back I gently pulled the guy aside who I suspect is behind this and tried to sort out a difference between him and the head chef. I was discreet, humble, and said "I know this isn't my place and if you don't want to talk about it, I completely understand." I told him that the disagreements between him and head chef were breaking my heart. He had his say. I listened. I said, "I didn't realize it was that complicated. Well, I hope that you guys can find some middle ground. You both care so deeply for this place." He ended the conversation with something to the effect of "well, now you see I'm right." I let it go at that and never spoke a word of it to anyone.

He's a selfish man and has made some aggressive and selfish moves since stepping into management. Did he take offense that a lowly employee such as myself broached the subject? There's always been an air of democracy and listening to people's point of views at this restaurant. It truly is a rare wondrous place. I hope they won't sack me.

The only other thing I can think of is the trips that I made over the summer. There was a woman some years back who was a very strong employee. She disappeared for a month to Vietnam. She never came back. "She didn't get clearance to go." That was the explanation I heard. I got permission from everyone in charge to make that trip. I have e-mails.

Any helpful advice or insight on this would be appreciated. Even observations. Thank you.

Edited by SycamoreCircle

Wow this is terrible.

Sorry but your managers are scum.

You did perform, they are lying - customers gave you rave reviews. They just wanted cheap labour from less experienced staff who will accept less of a paycheck.

I wouldn't want to work with such managers.

I believe you definitely have the experience to get another waitressing job! Given you have ten years experience, and 4 years at a trendy restaurant, you can DEFINATELY be picky and opt to work for a more fair manager.

Good luck, this is majorly unfair.

Sorry about your loss.

• Like 3

First they tell you it's lack of performance, typical mumbo jumbo, to it's nothing personal? Which is it? Sounds like their heads are shoved up their butts. I wouldn't take it personal. They probably want cheaper staff on part time hours. You'll find something better.

Sorry to sound harsh but if they have pared your job down and also were able to cope while you were away I think it's more down to cost cutting.

We have a system where I work when we need to make redundancies and it's based upon sick time, time taken for personal reasons and performance as well.

I don't think your speech will make any difference at this point.

Also, being higher up when it is apparent an employer can cope without that higher level of staff for an extended period of time that is what they will want to shave.

The good news for you is you clearly have a lot of experience so finding something new shouldn't be too tough.

• Like 1
melodymatters

I REALLY hate to ask this, but when I hear the words " Trendy" and "NYC": are they looking for a specific physical type and you no longer fit the bill ? Poor example but you could be the strongest waitress at Hooters but if you gain 50 lbs, out the door you go ( I assume).

• Like 3
Banker Chick

I agree that I don't think any speech you give will make a difference to them. This decision sounds like one they made a long time ago and have just taken a little time to put into action. The fact they've greatly reduced your hours was just buying time for everyone to get used to you not working there.

It still sucks but try not to beat yourself up about it or wonder what might have happened. It could just be the manager wanting to push his own agenda and if that's the case, you wouldn't have been able to change a thing.

• Like 2

You could file a law suit. From what you say this sounds like it could be one. Since they haven't really given you definite reasoning behind your departure. Or as you said "corporate talk" My aunt got corporate talk once as they laid her off. She was a great worker. She filed a lawsuit and won because shortly after they let her go, they hired someone else months later. If they couldn't 'afford' to keep her, why get someone else. It was all an inside job. Get your priorities in order and either keep your head up and find another job or file a lawsuit and win. And I am not a huge, Oh just get a lawyer type of person, but sometimes you will regret not doing anything. Oh and always say as little as possible, they wont care what you say or if you stand up for yourself, your gone either way. Keep it cordial and emotionless.

• Like 1
  • Author
SycamoreCircle

I received a talk a few days ago. A manager told me that basically I wasn't "hungry enough". He said that from talking to Chefs(the people I work most directly with) and the floor managers, it was collectively decided that in this quieter time of year at the restaurant(raw vegan), I was not chosen as an employee to keep. There were employees who "wanted it more."

"Why wasn't I given any sort of warning?", I asked. This is normal protocol at the company. "We dropped the ball there. With all of the changes, we were focusing on other things. And honestly, if it weren't for payroll cuts, this wouldn't be an issue."

I found out later that none of the Chefs or kitchen staff that I work with had a say in the matter. They were not consulted. And had they been, they would have made a very different decision.

So, two different managers lied to me.

I reached out to the owner, who is very open to employee concerns. While sympathetic, basically she told me it was out of her jurisdiction.

This is the sorriest thing. I have seniority. I delivered a long and memorized speech of all the attributes I brought to the company. All the positive feedback I'd received from customer and employee alike. No doing.

They encouraged me to reapply in the Spring. F U. I told them this was the most disrespectful thing to do to an employee.

New York is an employment-at-will state, meaning an employer can terminate you for any reason, or no reason, without legal recourse, just as the employee is equally free to end an employment relationship at any time.

The employer owes you no duty to treat you "fairly" or give you warning. Nonetheless, I suggest bowing out of this gracefully, thanking them for the opportunity, and ask for a reference.

It's always best not to burn bridges. I hope this opens the door for a better opportunity for you.

• Like 2
You could file a law suit. From what you say this sounds like it could be one. Since they haven't really given you definite reasoning behind your departure. Or as you said "corporate talk" My aunt got corporate talk once as they laid her off. She was a great worker. She filed a lawsuit and won because shortly after they let her go, they hired someone else months later. If they couldn't 'afford' to keep her, why get someone else. It was all an inside job. Get your priorities in order and either keep your head up and find another job or file a lawsuit and win. And I am not a huge, Oh just get a lawyer type of person, but sometimes you will regret not doing anything. Oh and always say as little as possible, they wont care what you say or if you stand up for yourself, your gone either way. Keep it cordial and emotionless.

This kind of reminds me of my husband's job. They have slow periods of the year and give little hours, yet the hire others when my husband only got 5 hours a week. He's looking for a job and will not give notice considering how he is nearly without work. He was promised all these things and not delivered.

• Author
SycamoreCircle

This year has been all about letting go of attachments. It has been all about realizing just because you're a loyal, sacrificing, giving partner in a relationship, no one is obligated to care about you. Just because you're an upbeat, present and dedicated employee, no one is obligated to keep you on.

"Nature is not human-hearted."

-Lao Tzu

• Like 1