Salary Negotiations

Banker Chick

I got a call on Saturday and an offer was extended to me with the company I really would like to work for (see previous thread). I asked them to please email me the particulars as I wasn't at home and didn't have anything to write on (I really just wanted it in writing).

The salary they are offering for a credit/financial analyst is $45k. I would like at least $50k. My most recent job paid that and the job before that I made $60k with a $4k bonus, but that was a better financial market also. They did tell me there was room for negotiation. Additionally, this is a national company that's moving their financial operations here and there have been many write ups in the local paper that in order to receive the tax incentives, they are required to create x number of jobs with an average salary of $55k. The man that will be my boss is the person I interviewed with and he was pretty open that the job was mine when I met with him so I know they are excited to have me on board.

I definitely want to counter but I'm not sure what figure I should counter with. If I counter with $50k are they going to think we can meet somewhere in the middle? Should I counter at $52k in the hopes they'll come back and settle on $50k? The HR person I spoke to on Saturday said it will just depend on what they can support in their department budget. I believe their benefits are good but unfortunately I won't get the specifics on them until later this week.

I'd like to get back to them tomorrow but I don't want to give them a number that pisses them off but I also want to make what is fair. I know it's much easier to get a higher salary to begin with than to settle for less and think it's going to be made up in yearly bonuses

Suggestions?

What country are you in?

If you are in AUS your pay would be a pittance - My friend graduated social science, and got an entry level job that is challenging but still - she gets 52 K for inbound calls/ troubleshooting!

It is her first ever job, too and she started on 52 K.

So um yeah, your job sounds on par with her job, which is also at a leading bank.....

You should get at LEAST 50K if you are in Aus......

You are prob in the USA though. Still, ask for at least 50K, anything lower just sounds too like too little for the job title.

I would ask for the benefits details now as they should provide them to you. That is going to weigh in heavily so don't want on that information.

I would counter with what you want to make and tell them you are firm on that. I am a big proponent of negotiating so stick to your guns.

• Author
Banker Chick

Thanks for the feedback. I've asked for more specifics about the benefits as you're right that it's such a big part of the negotiation. I had an offer from a company that paid a great starting salary but the health insurance was $500/mo and that was just for me!

Research the market rate and go from there based on your experience. Go higher than the minimum you'd accept, but don't accept anything lower.