Seven years and while getting good evaluations I have never been able to jump the wall out of a 'support' position. When I a position in my dept opens up I interviewed for each one and each shot down. I suspect they already know who they will hire but can't come right out and say that. You will say if you don't like it, quit.

I cannot quit just yet because company provides an educational benefit and I need to complete this to have a better job when I leave current 7 year job.

It's tough to stay positive when

• constant whistling coworker
  • two bullies who trust no one so I feel like I have to continually defend myself, I have NO DESIRE to set anyone up nor throw anyone under the bus
    these people seem intimidated by me in a challenging course of study as if they thought all along I was a dumb idiot and now realizing that I am smart, just quiet
  • being divorced out of a long term abusive marriage (4y now) I really hate hearing about how someone's husband forgot to take out the trash when I'm struggling with so many personal, educational, parental, and occupational things on my own
  • I feel like a low life in this support role grows low self esteem, I am one of the least paid people in my department, I don't even have a window to the outside like 90% of the people do. It feels like a prison.
  • the constant repetition of this one task I do several times every day, customers asking the same question, etc it's so mindless it's slowing driving me insane. They never learn in spite of all the info we have out there they don't READ anything, and I never get follow up from them after the fact due to nature of this task, so each new person, each day has the same stupid questions- if they would just read the info it would solve about 98% of wasting my time and theirs

My question is to LS readers: how can I make my last months here more tolerable? Each day when leaving for work, it's a huge challenge to stay positive and cheerful on the outside when inside I want to scream profanities at just about everyone in my office.

We have all been there at one point.

One thing I can say is be SO thankful you have a job right now, and one that is paying your education. I don't mean this AT ALL in a condescending way but if you look at my post, so many executives out of work clamoring for retail jobs.

You see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Cling to that hope. Remember that you will need them for a reference so actually try to take on MORE and have a killer attitude and disposition.

Don't sweat the small stuff if you had gotten promoted that could have come with it's own troubles...bloom where your planted, count your blessings, try to walk at lunch or have a quick coffee break to call home or dream and escape.

By all means just keep going and do great work and remember the goal.

You can do this! No sweat!

• Like 4

Find positives, no matter how small.

Many work without windows. Doesn't make this jobs less than or anything. Can you listen to music? If so, do that.

You know people ask questions...hard as it is, you already know it's what is part of each day. Make some fun with it...how many people ask the exact same question? Male vs female, etc.

Start your countdown to leaving. Have you started searching for another job? Jobs can take a while from job posting to offer letter. Account for that time span. At my job, it takes 2-6 months from posting to start date.

Each day when you leave, do something for you -- turn the radio/satellite up and sing at the top of your lungs, talk to a friend (hands free on a cell phone!)... Something fun you can look forward to.

Best of all, there will be an end date. Focus on that!

• Like 1

I recommend:

(1) Keeping yourself focused on what you'll do when you get off of work...Often times I think when we have lives outside of the workplace (i.e. family, friends, physical activities), it makes tolerating the crap at work more easier.

(2) Get an iPod or MP3 player...Tuning out the idiots really helps. Use the time to catch up on favorite podcasts...Also, believe it or not, the right music can soothe you and even pump you up to get through the day.

(3) Lastly, change your frame of mind...You already realize this job is a "means to an end" and you just have to keep on reminding yourself of that. The more you remember that this is temporary, the better mindset you'll have to tolerate it.

(4) And, almost lastly...make friends in the workplace. Out of all those jerks I'm sure you can find "someone" to get along with. When I was deployed, simple things like meeting up for eating time or running with people made staying there a lot better. At my current job, it sucks a lot, but I have people I look forward to just seeing and catching up with...when they are on leave, the job sucks - but then I just tune into my iPod - which I would have done if I didn't make friends with them.

90% of people are your workplace have a window or 90% of America?

Because I didn't get a window until maybe my 30's?

And know how many times I've looked out of said window? Probably never.

About this educational benefit... is it tuition reimbursement? Does your company have a policy about you having to stay for a certain time frame if they pay you for it?

Problem with the music is OP is in a support role with customer service, so this person needs to be on the phone it seems and not able to listen to music.

I just think you are at a point where the job irks you so much, EVERYTHING about this job just absolutely bothers you.

Think long-term. Finish up the education part. Move no. One day you'll look back at this job as a fundamental stepping stone to your overall career.

• Author

I'm no 20something or even 30something.

Thank you all for your help.

I am happy to report my tasks have changed! at least for a little while, through an odd course of events, it fell into my lap. Yes I'm purposely being vague, but 98% happier there.

:laugh: