Defensive, or justified?

I have a coworker who has kids and she gets to work later and can't stay as late b/c of that. A few days ago, my colleague and I and one other person were working to set up a meeting date towards the end of work. The date mentioned worked, but I was unable to meet until later and whenI told my coworkers that, the response was the day wouldnt work because my coworker needed to pick up her kids. Fine, this is the norm. So I put it back on her to determine a date and time that worked for her child care, and she then she would ask what worked for me. So I again said a work conflict was causing the issue for me, but I was willing to work around her daycare to set up a time to meet. She got incredibly defensive about that, then proceeded to say she was prepared to stay as late as needed to get our meeting done...after a different date and earlier time were chosen by our other coworker. Why did she do a 180? Why say it was a problem, then not? I was more than willing to work around her, its kind of expected we do, but she was fairly determined to say she didnt expectour mtgs to revolve around her daycare...after she requested a different date and time because of it.

She knows she's abusing the leaving early because of kids thing. Not many places put up with that on a daily basis. She should have thought about whether she could afford daycare before she had kids. Someone has probably called her on it. And before I get flamed for that, I'll be completely on the side of accommodating that in the workplace when fathers do half of it so women aren't the only ones catching heat for it.

• Like 1