I not only lost my job, they are denying me unemployment. I have no money and am about to be evicted from my apt. I still haven't found a job. I've hit bottom. I don't know what to do!

Where are you located? In the US as long as you were terminated and did not QUIT, you should be entitled. Certain circumstances when you are terminated will deny benefits, but they are few and far between. I have let go a few people and tried to fight their unemployment requests and ALWAYS lost the appeal. So, I suggest that if they have made a statement that denies your compensation, appeal it. It is a simple procedure, and you do not need an attorney.

Can you get a roomie to help with your housing? Hit the pavement. When I was unemployed a long time ago, I gave myself 4 weeks to find a "decent" job and if I had not found it by then, I would do the McDonalds 7-11 route at $3.35 and hour to make the ends closer--ends tend to never meet.

What are your qualities, discover them and market yourself. I have found that some of the downest times in my life ultimately turned out some of the better consequences. That is not to say there weren't some pretty darned crappy moments, but in the larger picture, I am better off.

For instance, when I was married, we were married 9 months, my wife was 5 months pregnant with our first kid, we were 9 months into our brand new house, and I had literally just signed a 5 year loan on a brand new car. The next day I was laid off! I did get 2 weeks severance pay, collected unemployment, and found a better paying job in the first week. But the first week was a total downer for sure. But as it was I ended up having a week of three paychecks--severance, unemployment, new job.

• Author

Hi!

thanks for replying. I'm located in Texas. I worked for Kelly Services and when called me they said my assignment has ended. I asked why and they said something about process changes and my performance. They asked if I was put on another job and I was for only a week before they let me go and there was nothing wrong with my performance. Here is a copy from the TWC If I was fired or quit my job, can I collect benefits?

Once your unemployment insurance claim application is submitted, TWC will investigate the reason you are no longer working. If it is determined you were not fired for misconduct connected with your work or you quit your job for a work-related or medical reason, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits. TWC will notify you by mail of any decisions.

With the employer I was working for saying that..I don't know how I can fight it. People I worked with and asked me why I was let go....they can't figure it out. Yet, they kept people who are absent one or two days EVERY week. I was always there.

I am applying for jobs everywhere...including McDonalds! I need the money!!!

I will appeal it, because I feel I was let go without cause. but I also read somewhere that I won't win so it's best to forget it.

OK so was your assignment terminated or were you let go from Kelly? Misconduct with your work is a broad term--if you were there and trying to do your job, they should pay it. If you are still working for Kelly, they should reassign you.

The beauty of a temp agency is that you don't need any reason to end a contract. Someone does not like the color of your shirt--all they need to do is call Kellly and tell them they need someone else.

I think you are ok on the unemployment.

Is there anythign down thaere that you can do that might earn you a few bucks as a 1099 employee--that way there is no tax liability until nrxt year.

• Author

I was teminated from the work assignment, not kelly. This area isn't booming with jobs so I haven't gotten a reasignment. I worked at the place I was terminated from before, I was perm. Then things got slow and I was furloughed for 3 months but they called me back after two, I was still an employee. A month later things still didn't improve so they laid me off permanently. I was gone for three months and they took me back through Kelly. Needless to say, I have had enough with them and won't go back no matter how desperate I am.

I'll be talking to unemployment in the morning. Is there anything I should NOT say to them? My rent is due, I expect to get evicted in the next couple of days, I've already received my letter to vacate.

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Soccor's right, it's tough for employers to deny unemployment. I once found myself in the position of fighting unemployment claims made by my predecessor at my old company (I replaced him as an executive director). We fought it, and lost.

Sign up with a bunch of agencies if you're not getting work with one. Some companies use only certain agencies so if you're registered with a bunch of agencies, you're more likely to get jobs.