LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I really hate job interviews!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2014, 6:17 PM   #1
Established Member

I really hate job interviews!

I just had one over the phone an hour or so ago & it was terrible . The lady was nice & stuff but she kept on & on asking about my strengths and then my weaknesses more than once but rephrased differently. Then she wanted to know why I didn't have a drivers license & this got my heart pounding! All of this is so so unfair 'cause all I want is start working again after I was told to resign from my last job & this lady is making it impossible for me to do it u know . Now she says they go over a bunch of stuff & then call me back to do another interview but in person & then schedule a drug test and then a background check on & on. What's going on? Am I the only one getting this?!
NYC-BigKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 6:27 PM   #2
Established Member

No, Kat, this is just the way it is. Look at it this way - you survived the phone interview, even if you sweated thru it! If they call you in for a face to face interview, it means they're very interested. Hang in there and wait for that call, good luck!
MidwestUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 6:30 PM   #3
Established Member

A drug test? Why? If you partake in the occasional puff that`s your business. But good luck, sounds very promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-BigKat View Post
I just had one over the phone an hour or so ago & it was terrible . The lady was nice & stuff but she kept on & on asking about my strengths and then my weaknesses more than once but rephrased differently. Then she wanted to know why I didn't have a drivers license & this got my heart pounding! All of this is so so unfair 'cause all I want is start working again after I was told to resign from my last job & this lady is making it impossible for me to do it u know . Now she says they go over a bunch of stuff & then call me back to do another interview but in person & then schedule a drug test and then a background check on & on. What's going on? Am I the only one getting this?!
Old 31st March 2014, 6:40 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
A drug test? Why? If you partake in the occasional puff that`s your business. But good luck, sounds very promising.
Drug tests are pretty standard over here. I've peed in a cup for jobs I knew I wasn't going to get. They've made such a cattle line of the whole process.

I don't think Kat's a toker. Or maybe he is?
MidwestUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 7:17 PM   #5
Established Member

Thats insane,

I am sure that`s not the case over here but the industry i work in, it is almost wise to toke a bit just to get a foot in the door. `Oh you have an 8th? Sign this and don`t forget to leave your bank details with Claudia`.

But i don`t imbibe any more, those kingfishers days of uni are behind me. Child care and the necessity to keep working has sealed my fate. (Wouldn`t have it any other way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
Drug tests are pretty standard over here. I've peed in a cup for jobs I knew I wasn't going to get. They've made such a cattle line of the whole process.

I don't think Kat's a toker. Or maybe he is?
Haydn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 7:22 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
This sounds like a very common job interview experience. It's very normal to do a preliminary phone interview, and then if they like you, to go in and do an in person interview. Depending on the job, drug tests and background checks are also very normal.

Go online and Google "common interview questions." You will find many web sites that have all kinds of questions that are commonly asked at job interviews. Sit down and think through what a good answer is to each of those questions. Think about how you would answer the question if you were asked. Start a Word document, and copy and paste in the questions and type in your answers, so you can review your answers. This way, when you get some of those questions, you won't be caught off guard. You'll generally know how to respond. You should know all of your strengths, weaknesses, why you want to work for the company, how you handle conflicts or stress, how well you work with others, etc.

You really need to have an explanation ready for why you don't have your driver's license also. I'm assuming it's necessary for the job since she's asking about it, so it really shouldn't have caught you by surprise.
Old 31st March 2014, 7:26 PM   #7
Established Member

This isn't even a dating question unless you ask her on a date.
Old 31st March 2014, 7:31 PM   #8
Established Member

Just realised!!!!!! But mind you i have had my most interesting encounters whilst waitng to be interviewed. Smiling inanely and adjusting my trousers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanMusial View Post
Haydn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 9:12 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanMusial View Post
So? I see lots of non dating questions in these places u know.
NYC-BigKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 9:58 PM   #10

Be prepared to answer more of those "behavioral" questions if you have an in person interview.
Lipitor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:35 AM   #11
Established Member

I've worked many jobs and got my license at 22 and never have been asked whether or not I have a license unless the job requires driving and I never apply to those, even after I did get my license. The most common question is whether or not you have reliable transportation. If they asked whether or not you have a license, odds are the job requires driving on the job, so if there is a company car involved, they will need to know that you are licensed.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 6:05 AM   #12
Established Member

I found that by far most common questions are:

Why did you apply for this role?

Tell me about your current/previous role or tell me about your career highlights?

Tell about your long term career plans?

Also, it helps if you have a few points that you want to get across to highlight your strengths and find a suitable point to get them in.

Some questions are not allowed like "are you single/married?". For myself, it's a huge advantage that I am single because my job involves long hours and travel at short notice. But since interviewers can't ask that, I find a way to say that I am unattached without blurting it out randomly

Basically, you need to brag without looking like you are blatantly bragging. You should also find a way to connect with the interviewers. They need to get a vibe that they would like working with you, so you can't be too stiff or formal.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
What's going on? Am I the only one getting this?!

Don't think so. I have had somewhere in the ballpark of 7 phone interviews for out-of-area jobs in the last 8 months, and only recently got 2 call backs for on-site interviews. Tis the nature of the beast nowadays.

If I had one piece of advice (okay, maybe 2), I would start by suggesting that you find a way to make a phone interview more of a conversation than an interview. Don't let the person control it like a reporter. Have questions you want to ask of the person and when you give a response that leads to your question, turn it back on them. You will find the tone quickly changes to a conversation, and let's face it, it easier to have a conversation than to be grilled by a reporter.

Second, while I would never suggest you owe them anything, I can tell by your tone that you need to have a bit more respect for the interview process and what is at stake for the employer. This tone may be coming through in your phone interviews. Respect is key. Respect your interviewer and converse with them. And NEVER list off weaknesses when asked (my own opinion).
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:03 AM   #14
Established Member

Just like dating, the less desparate you seem for a job the better.

P.S. I never had a phone interview. In Australia it's a straight up interview or nothing.
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 6:55 PM   #15
Established Member

I just went through the phone interview/normal interview/job offer/drug screening in the past couple of weeks. I am very excited. And yes, this is all VERY normal. It's important to be confident, and to phrase all of your answers as positively as you can. And don't worry. Sometimes they lob out random questions just to see how you handle yourself.

A month or so ago I found this video, and although I consider myself pretty good at interviewing, I thought this was an awesome tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTNOF77bMs

Happily with my best friend of 18 years.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote