LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

LinkedIn Recommendations?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dichotomy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2014, 5:36 PM   #1
Established Member

LinkedIn Recommendations?

Hi,

I've got a dozen or so reference letters to give for an interview or when submitting my resume, but none on my LinkedIn profile. I do get a lot of hits on it so I want recommendations on the profile.

I asked a select few people through LinkedIn if they would be willing to give me a recommendation. Only 3 people responded, and only one of those three actually posted a recommendation. I asked for them in the middle of January so it's been about two months.

Should I press those other two to follow up on the recommendations they already said they'd give me? I don't want to be a pest but I picked them because I know they would give quality references, so I really want them. Right now I've only got one recommendation which for the amount of work experience I have and the amount of people I'm connected to as a former colleague seems pretty pitiful.

Also.....how do I go about asking for recommendations from people I haven't worked with in years? Should I even try? That's what I did here and obviously I got some responses but it feels weird to pop up now and say "Hey can you put in a good word for me even though you haven't seen or worked with me in years."
Old 21st March 2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Established Member

....any perspectives/opinions would be appreciated. No one's had experience with this? :-/
Almond_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 8:12 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almond_Joy View Post
....any perspectives/opinions would be appreciated. No one's had experience with this? :-/
Never pester - but asking twice, through linkedin message is acceptable.

Secondarily - if your references are equals (and not bosses) you could offer them a recommendation on linkedin first. It may prompt them to remember to respond in kind.

You have the written recommendations (not linkedin) which is great - as many empoloyeers still ask for written ones - or names for them to call - rather than linkedin anyway.

I suppose you could scan the recommendations and post them on linkedin as well.