Advice...telling a boss they are treating people like children

Our boss talks to us like she is talking to children. Lots of us feel that way in the dept. But we just sit back and take it. She talks to us as if we have no credible intelligence and sometimes even scolds us out loud within earshot of other people. It truly drives us nuts. This is the 1st job that she has had where she is actually supervising other adults. In her previous position she supervised a lot of student (college age) assistants. But even they deserve to be treated like adults.

How can we tactfully communicate this to her. We do not want to hurt her feelings. Even though she certainly leaves us feeling that way.

We think it is her way of compensating for her own feelings of incompetence. Not that she is really incompetent, but we function pretty much independently in our dept and really like it that way. In fact her position was vacant for over a year before she was hired.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Rose

I think that's my old boss! Maybe an anonymous letter, but I have seen those backfire. People will say: well why didn't the person have the decency to say it to her face? or, since it is anon. then we will not acknowledge it. People may see it as spreading gossip and ill will. See, I bet she will bring it up and show people. She really might.

I would try to get a group together to put it on the agenda. But this way: How can we make our workplace more professional and help the employees here feel like respected professionals? and you could say that would increase productivity b/c it would increase confidence and s. esteem. Try to get a conversation like that going. If she does not listen and gets defensive like my old stupid crappy boss, then I am so sorry. I quit my job. AND now I am sooooo happy with my new one.

Food for thought.

Lolita

• Author

Thanks Lolita,

Hey maybe we got your old boss...lol. Ours sure does get defensive the minute we try to approach the subject however subtle we may try to be. If we even give the slightest indication that we differ on any point she will stew over it for days, sometimes not even talking to you for days, until she absolutely has to.

We did not do an anonymous letter, but just last week we did receive a booklet that was titled something like Tips on how to be a good Manager and how to recognize your employees. We put it in her inbox. We did not hear a peep out of her about it and I would venture that an anonymous letter also would not be acknowledged.

We get very close to wanting to approach her about it, we have discussed if it would be best for one person to talk to her or to go as a group and something always happens to make us back down. It's like wanting to approach the great Wizard of OZ (visions of the cowardly lion running and jumping through the plate glass window...lol)

Rose

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I know the feeling. I am a college student, and I work in an office, and my boss insists on calling me "kid" or "kiddo" and sometimes her tone isnt exactly warm and fuzzy with it either. I want to approach her on it, but with my position I am very replaceable, and I dont exactly have a new job concretely lined up yet. I thought about approaching her about it, but how exactly do you tell someone who's been in the office for years, who's like the mother hen of the roost, that she shouldnt call you kid, without also making a big stink about something that she'll most likely brush off? I know how you feel.