If you take online classes, will that get you good job positions?

dragon_fly_7

I'm a woman in my mid 20's who has been taking online classes for more than 2 years by now. For personal reason I won't discuss, I had to quit college years ago but I've resumed for a while now.

I'll be done by 2015 but I was wondering if this has the same value as if I were going regularly going to the University. It's the same courses but a bunch of classmates and I are doing it virtual with the headphones and the professors logging in and teaching. The only time we have arrive on the faculty on time is when taking mid-terms and finals.

By the time I graduate and if my field starts looking at my resume, will they focus on whether you took those classes online or in person or only focus on the face that you earned a college degree? In this program, we will be done at a slightly faster pace than by in person.

in my experience, they never even ask. and you don't disclose on your resume that it was an online school, you just give the name. I think even places like University of Phoenix have gained more credibility than they once had. honestly, it makes no difference and can even be a selling point - "many of my courses were taught online!" - because it shows you're very comfortable with modern technology and virtual learning. you'll be fine!

• Like 3
Smthn_Like_Olivia

I finished my bachelors degree online after having twins and not having the time or money to travel to campus. I was promoted shortly after. I then went on to get my MBA online. Guess what? Promoted again.

I've worried in the past that getting both my degrees online will hinder the job process, but I recently posted my resume online and have gotten quite a bit of interest from both recruiters and employers.

• Like 3

OL v. IRL doesn't matter all that much any more. Many "real" universities offer distance learning programs. Like anything else, reputation matters. Certain OL schools are better than others.

My husband got his degree on line & has a great job.

• Like 2
  • Author
dragon_fly_7

Thank you all for the information. Good to hear they don't care about that after all.

Why would your employer need to know you took classes online anyways? You just tell them the school you went to. In my case, my school was out of state, so sometimes they will genuinely wonder if I took classes online since I worked out of state while attending that school. To answer your question though, accreditation is what matters. As long as the school you've attended is a good accredited school, online or in class doesn't matter. Most schools nowadays offer distance learning courses to working individuals who cannot always be on campus. Most reputable employers will respect that. If they don't, you probably don't want to be working for them anyways.

• Like 2
VeronicaRoss

I looked into this myself. They're losing their stigma in many fields but the best way for you to find out if this is true in your area and field is to ask directly.

You could call the HR offices of a few companies you'd like to apply at (or some in the same field but you don't care to work there) and simply ask if it makes a difference to them. Reach out to a few people in the field already through your professors contacts or friends and family and do informational interviews, bring that up as one of many questions. Take them out to lunch, it will improve your network too!