People in positions of power....

I'm male. Do you notice or judge if someone has a pierced ear.... WITHOUT the earring in? Or just with the earring in?

I'm employed but at a point where I need to decide if I should let it close up or keep wearing it. Thanks.

And I'm totally okay with an honest answer. Don't feel the need to hold back your honest opinions on men with piercings.

My boss is fifty three and he has a piercing and no one really comments. He gets ribbed by his boss but in a good natured way. Otherwise he dresses very well and is very professional. We are in finance. It doesn't persuade me of your worth as a business professional one way or the other.

I notice. If there is no earring in the hole, I might surmise that the person took it out for the interview which I would view favorably. If the earring was still in I would only judge it negatively if it were too big for the person; a small diamond or other stud wouldn't merit any consideration one way or other. Similarly tasteful earrings on a woman wouldn't merit further consideration but something loud, garish & more appropriate for a club would garner a negative opinion.

Sorry, but in my business (a very conservative field) I wouldn't hire somebody with those earlobe spreader things where there is a hole in the person's lobe about the side of a quarter.

• Author
I notice. If there is no earring in the hole, I might surmise that the person took it out for the interview which I would view favorably. If the earring was still in I would only judge it negatively if it were too big for the person; a small diamond or other stud wouldn't merit any consideration one way or other. Similarly tasteful earrings on a woman wouldn't merit further consideration but something loud, garish & more appropriate for a club would garner a negative opinion.

Sorry, but in my business (a very conservative field) I wouldn't hire somebody with those earlobe spreader things where there is a hole in the person's lobe about the side of a quarter.

I wear a stud in my right ear when I'm not at work. That's what I was getting at. Thanks for the insight.

I'm male. Do you notice or judge if someone has a pierced ear.... WITHOUT the earring in? Or just with the earring in?

I'm employed but at a point where I need to decide if I should let it close up or keep wearing it. Thanks.

And I'm totally okay with an honest answer. Don't feel the need to hold back your honest opinions on men with piercings.

It really depends on the company's culture, industry and general environment. For us, no, to a certain level. I don't think we would have someone in the C-suite who would have an earring but have many middle management who do.