Gift Giving Dilemma

Hello all,

This is my first post, hopefully you will be able to give some sage advice.

In a few days one of my colleagues has a birthday, I have known her for a little over a year. I know she likes music and is always singing or

humming along to the radio and as a gift I've bought her a copy of an album I like, that I thought she might also like.

Anyhow, someone asked me what I had got her, I told her and she said that it might be inappropriate because it might be considered too personal.

Maybe my judgement is off but I can't fathom why it would be inappropriate, it's not as if it's a mix-tape and Other colleagues are buying perfume, jewellery and scarves.

I don't want to create any unnecessary tension in my work place, so What is everyone's opinion on this?

Give it to her..... any gift is 'personal' when it's chosen with thought for a specific person.

Jeesh, too much analysis causes paralysis! Your colleague is merely projecting their own insecurities onto you....

• Like 1

Everybody takes political correctness to the extreme these days. You did a nice, thoughtful thing. Give your colleague the gift, perhaps somewhat privately so as not to put any other co-workers who didn't purchase gifts on the spot but really you bought her some music, not a sex toy, It's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Give it to her..... any gift is 'personal' when it's chosen with thought for a specific person.

Jeesh, too much analysis causes paralysis! Your colleague is merely projecting their own insecurities onto you....

Thank you for the advice.

I agree about too much analysis causes paralysis but unfortunately it's learnt behavior working at this place.

I gave her the gift, she listened to it last night and said she liked it. I was a little worried because her behavior has suddenly changed towards me since last week and I thought it might have been the gift, but I guess it's nothing to do with that.