Mean Boss, or my mistake?

YellowLioness

This is my first job, much like Katie. She and I are in very similar boats. However, my bosses make me feel like crap, and I need to understand if it's me, or if it's them. I'm just sick of feeling worthless and stupid.

I know that other people can't control the way that you feel, but when they hammer at you, while giving you no encouragment, it starts to wear ya down. Especially 'cause this is my first job, and I have nothing to compare it to.

This one guy I work for is in the accounting department. We'll call him B.

This happened today:

(Me, working on an Excel spread sheet involving the service personnel and equipment)

(B walks into my cubical)

Well, I need for you to have this business change our address, and I need you to send this to R**** in South Carolina to add to the company Minute Book. Now, I know I've showed you before. Do you remember?

Me: Yes, I remember.

B: Are you SURE you remember? (Sarcastic smile on his face)

Me: (I get quiet) Yeah... I just put a note on it that says, "Caroll, add this to the minute book." Right?

B: Well, if you're sure you remember.

Me: Brian, since I have you here, can I ask you about this spread sheet?

(little convo., he helps me fix it.)

Me: Do you want me to send this rough copy to Tim? I was also wondering if you wanted me to go ahead and find out about the calibration dates on the machines.

B: Do you really not remember what I said about that?

Me: Yeah, I'm supposed to run them by Tim. I just wanted to get a head start.

B: You don't remember, do you? You're supposed to run them by Tim AFTER the spread sheet is completed with all the information on it.

Me: (Barely suppressing anger)

B: Well, that's alright. (Smiles to himself and walks off)

Me: (thinking, not speaking) Damn, I need a new job already!

Is it me? I don't know. Whether it is me, or it isn't me, I'm tired of feeling like crap. I'm going to look for a new job in the classifieds this evening. I"m not going to sit around and feel like this.

sorry kiddo, but some people think that being management gives them full authority to act like *ssholes toward others.

next time, just smile and say sweetly, "I was just double-checking, I appreciate the reminder!" and leave it at that.

trust me: if you behave/act sensibly or decently while the other person acts like a jerk, you're not the one who looks bad. I've found that even if they seem to be annoyed about it, most people appreciate a concientious worker who wants to get things done right, not someone who is looking for ways to hide their mistakes!

besides (insert evil grin), all the crap he flicks at others will pile up ten-fold on him!

• Author
YellowLioness

Yeah, you're right, actually. I think I was just REALLY angry when I posted that. I have a bit of a temper, sometimes. Most of the time I just suck it up.

It is just average "office crap." Plus, I work for a small business, so it's important to take that into account. :-)

Well, thanks Anne for thinking of karma. Your cheery reminder that what goes around comes around made me smile. Thanks, :-)

*purring on the inside* It's friday, after all. :-D