Tried to get my brother a job and failed. How to stop feeling guilty?

thishatteredsymphony

I wasn't sure whether this is more appropriate for the family forum. Anyway...

I've been working with a really great company for a little over a month now. It could not have come at a better time; had a horrible break up a few months before, bills took what was left of my savings, and I just completely spiraled into depression.

Getting this job began a huge turnaround in my behavior and outlook. I was excited and, like anyone, I was eagerly telling friends and family about work when they'd ask. My brother was also included.

Here's the thing... my brother had been searching for a new job for weeks before I started mine. He was previously working two jobs and both of them have gone under (one is close to filing for bankruptcy and the other is just a seasonal job). He asked about what positions were open with my company and if they were still hiring. I knew we were because I had a conversation with HR where they mentioned they still need to fill something like 50 positions.

Bear in mind, this job is easy. I do data entry for 8 hours a day, all day, every day. It's not fun, but it is super easy. I honestly did not feel I would get the job because even though the requirements are basic, my experience (which has been completely restaurant-related) did not match the company at all.

Yet, I got the job anyway.

My brother's work experience and skills almost match mine to a T. We're twins, and so we've embarked on a lot of things together. We both started out working in restaurants, and I kept at that while he pursued hospitality related positions. We are both skilled in similar media programs as we both have an interest in graphic arts. Simply put, we pretty much have the same skill set.

I was hired within 4 days of submitting my application. I didn't even have to call once to ask for consideration.

My brother? Not a single phone call. We scoured his resume and looked at it over and over again and there's nothing wrong with it, no spelling errors or anything strange. So, I'm just not sure where the problem was.

I thought the reason could very well be simple: we're brothers and there's some concern about having two siblings working in the same building. But that doesn't seem entirely plausible because this is a big building with multiple departments. Surely he could go elsewhere? I mean, I know three co-workers in my own office who have family members working here.

Two and a half weeks go by and my brother is getting discouraged, especially having done his own work in calling repeatedly and getting no response. I decide to see what I could do so I ask HR if there's been any consideration of my brother's resume. I got this response:

"At this time, we have no positions available that match your brother's experience."

I was floored and honestly angry as hell. His experience matches mine and I was even told after I got the job that experience doesn't really matter in this company because it's an entry level position that requires no more than knowing how to use a damn computer.

I'm so angry with HR. I shouldn't be but I am. I'm almost insulted. And I feel guilty more than anything because I was eagerly telling my brother to apply for the job; he's SURE to get it! But he didn't, and I feel completely guilty.

He's doing his best to hide it, but I can see the frustration and sadness in my brother's face. I can see it because that was the look I had on my face before I got hired. It's painful to see. And it's got to be more painful for him because it almost feels like a "how come him and not me" situation.

I feel so terrible and guilty because I felt so sure he could get this job. And having that response just feels like bull****.

Edited by thishatteredsymphony