Not a lot of success in my skin care direct selling business

I've been selling for the company Rodan&Fields for a few months now. It's a multilevel marketing company like It Works and Scensty. I'm having a difficult time convincing people enough with a sales pitch that its "what they need".

I joined initially to possibly make extra money, and learn about marketing, selling and all that. Since school started, that has taken up so much of my time that I can't effectively network or try to sell. I want this to work so bad because its a ground level company and there's potential to make a lot of extra money.

How do I sell while In school? What tactic/ approach could I use? How would a millionaire think about this? Ill answer any questions needed for additional Info

I'm having a difficult time convincing people enough with a sales pitch that its "what they need".

Do you actually care about the product or are you just out for money? Have you used any of the products yourself?

I joined initially to possibly make extra money, and learn about marketing, selling and all that.

Initially? Why are you sticking with it now?

Since school started, that has taken up so much of my time that I can't effectively network or try to sell.

Sounds more like you haven't been trying/don't know where to look.

I want this to work so bad because its a ground level company and there's potential to make a lot of extra money.

...remember what I said in my response title about giving a $hit? Yeah. If you don't care about what "your" company is doing then you've already prepped yourself for failure, not success.

How do I sell while In school? What tactic/ approach could I use? How would a millionaire think about this? Ill answer any questions needed for additional Info

Sounds like you're fishing for a quick fix to me, rather than improvement.

You're a guy, right? If so, I think you'll have trouble selling skincare products. You're basically expected to go door-to-door selling this, or guilting your friends into buying from you, or hosting parties to sell it to all your girlfriends. Do you have a lot of girlfriends? Are you very charismatic?

Anyway, usually, the goal is not necessarily to sell the actual product, but to recruit more people to sell this **** nobody wants. Then you get a cut of their sales. Sounds great, but it's never actually that easy, as you've learned.

But surely you already know all this because you've done your research on MLMs and you've googled things like "MLM scam" or "MLM ripped off" or "MLM cult."

How would a millionaire think about this?

A millionaire would never get involved in MLM.

• Like 2

Oh wow, I never knew that Rodan was a direct marketing company. Anyways, I did Mary Kay and Avon for a bit while in school and honestly, unless you make it your full time job to market these products, you will not make a living off of it. This also largely depends on having a large network of people to begin the marketing process, family, friends, friends of family and friends, their friends etc. If you don't have a large network of family and friends, you will need to spend additional time marketing yourself before marketing your product. Of course you'll hear all these amazing stories about how people don't have to work, because they are making so much from their own direct marketing business...which isn't impossible, but it does take a lot of time. If you recruit a lot of people under you, you get residual income off of their sales as well. But this also takes time. And it's true you will need to find people to host "parties" to gain more contacts and clients to eventually have residual income. It's a lot of hard work for someone in school.

I would not invest much time into these companies..They consume your life, and you will start to see everyone as a sales opportunity instead of an actual person.

I agree. I have a friend like this and she is nothing but work work work and it even got to the point where people are irritated at her because she's always trying to recruit you. One time we even had to hang up on her because she wouldn't take no for an answer.

• Like 1

If you really are interested in marketing, you are definitely in the wrong place. Multi level marketing is about Sell, Sell, Sell. Multi Level Marketing is all about "If we push this product into enough people's faces, we will get sales". It has nothing to do with the customer. I don't care what they tell you. I have studied this extensively.

MLM companies are about "If I can just grab enough people by the throat and tell them how good this product is..."

And worse, MLMs try to indoctrinate sales representatives into a "pseudo-belief" in their product. If a product is good, people will talk about it, and people will come to you. But MLM products are average at best. So they require people to be recruit and to shove the product in people's faces as much as possible.

"How would a millionaire think about this?"

Wrong mindset. You have to find something you really believe in. Not something someone told you to believe in. It makes all the difference. If money is ever your main motivation you are doing the wrong thing.

• Like 3
If you really are interested in marketing, you are definitely in the wrong place. Multi level marketing is about Sell, Sell, Sell. Multi Level Marketing is all about "If we push this product into enough people's faces, we will get sales". It has nothing to do with the customer. I don't care what they tell you. I have studied this extensively.

MLM companies are about "If I can just grab enough people by the throat and tell them how good this product is..."

And worse, MLMs try to indoctrinate sales representatives into a "pseudo-belief" in their product. If a product is good, people will talk about it, and people will come to you. But MLM products are average at best. So they require people to be recruit and to shove the product in people's faces as much as possible.

"How would a millionaire think about this?"

Wrong mindset. You have to find something you really believe in. Not something someone told you to believe in. It makes all the difference. If money is ever your main motivation you are doing the wrong thing.

I agree, direct marketing is very different from professional marketing in a corporate environment. My brother was trying to compare selling a product to online marketing. :laugh:

"I'm having a difficult time convincing people enough with a sales pitch that its "what they need"

then sell something they will want, I tried and tried to make it selling something that was not very sought after, in the cold light of day that is, my then boyf pointed this out to me, that I was trying to sell something nobody wanted, blunt, but I would move on to something that doesn't waste your time which it has so far

You are going to have to use social media to sell your product. Since it is a product you sell yourself personally in a social networking enviroment.

Get a bunch of people with great skin to be your FB friends and offer testimonials. Have them and others always making comments on your Page regarding YOU and as an aside, the products.

You have to market you as well as the products. Go to related events like fashion shows, bridal events, any grand openings at clubs. Salon and spa events. Take pictures with yourself having a glamorous time with other men and women, and also make it look as though you are there professionally. The idea that you are popular , and have something to offer will come across. The idea that the people in the pictures buy your product will be implied.