Coworker talks incessantly, never runs out of stories.

It's mentally draining, and all I can do is say mm hmm, uh huh, and force the occasional laugh.

What is it with these types?

Are they just insecure with silence, or is it an attentional thing?

HokeyReligions

Maybe they have no one else to talk to. I used to be like that 35 years ago. I treated my coworkers like my support system because I didn't have any other support system. I learned when I confided my fears about my first pap and was made fun of. I was really hurt at the time.

Maybe some honesty with your coworker will help. Maybe she's insecure and just want people to like her.

• Author

It's actually a guy, as am I.

He's got a family and friends, you'd think he'd have people to talk to.

I hate to say it but I actually dislike him. He's the type that'll be your best friend face to face and then stab you in the back when you're not looking.

I've got a coworker like this so I just do my best to avoid her for prolonged periods of time. If it's not chatting in the hall or something then I just can't be around her without getting steamed.

OMG. I have a coworker who is exactly like this. Someone could be talking about something that happened to them and she will come with almost the exact same thing happening to her or someone she knows. Sometimes I think she makes it all up. Nobody has that much drama going on in their lives all of the time.

Depends what sort of job you do. I'm lucky enough in that my job is the sort of environment where someone like that just gets told to f-off and that's the end of it!

If you have some type of desk job that doesn't require you to be on the phone constantly, then just bring in some headphones or earbuds to work. You can politely greet him in the morning when you get in, then put in your earbuds and get your music going. He'll get the point.

As an added benefit, you will also concentrate much better... I would go out of my mind in my noisy office without my earbuds :)

-A