Im a little disappointed right now, I asked my employer for a pay rise and they have only provided one in line with CPI.

I work for a charity, a job I love, a cause I am passionate about and somewhere where I can really see myself staying long term. However Ive been here two years and have worked immensely hard without any pay rise. That in itself is not an issue, I can handle that - its an NGO and they aren't likely to pay me stock brokers wages. Two things are causing me to feel dissatisfied:

• My former colleague told me she earned $8,000 a year more doing exactly the same job as me, she didnt know this when she told me and I have no reason to doubt her honesty at all

I am now managing someone. We took on a trainee and I am in charge of his induction as well as managing his day to day work-load - my manager asked me and I readily agreed

Essentially I dont even want much more than I currently earn - 5% would probably be enough for me to afford the ridiculous medical costs I pay in this country. At the moment I break even every month - live a decent quality of life but a slight increase would dramatically change my current outlook.

Any advice? I dont want to leave this job and Im a non-confrontational person so dont know whether to try again to get a pay rise or leave....

I guess you have to decide how much you want to stay at the job vs. getting a raise and which is more important to you. Are you looking for growth? Is your job a dead end? Ultimately, if this is what you really want, you will have to discuss the possibilities this your manager.

Can you negotiate for other things like more time off, fewer hours, like half a day on Friday? Better benefits, nicer office, parking space, free lunch, etc. Be creative!

• Like 1
HokeyReligions

Look for work with other charities. You might find something you like better and will make more. Sometimes the only way to get a raise is to find a new job. Also if you get a written offer you can use that as a bargaining chip but be ready to leave if they don't match the offer.

• Author

Thanks for your replies. Its a really tough call for me because I really like the organisation, I have volunteered for years in this sector and, actually turned down high paying roles in the corporate sector to come and work here - I knew what I was getting involved in and am proud of myself for doing it. Guess, i thought there would be some progression after two years is all, or something tangible for me to work toward.

Ive decided to start capitalizing on all the free training I can get here in the interim - they have that in abundance. Is it a dead end? Well there arent any promotion opportunities at the moment and maybe not for foreseeable future.

They have said they want me to be the ultimate successor to a colleague who is in charge of all reporting, which would be absolutely incredible, but as I have no way of knowing when shes leaving (it could be years) its not really something tangible right now (although admittedly an amazing opportunity).

How can I keep my motivation up for the short term? Im a little crushed;(