Help!!! Trying to help gf get a job-shes really stressed!!!

I am trying to help my gf find a parttime job. She is tired of working as a secretary in doctor's offices. The kind of organization needed there is not her strong suit. She is working on getting her masters in Art therapy. She also just bought a newcomputer because she wants to work with computer graphics and web design. She talked to me about getting a job as a waitress but I told her she should do something where she would be happier, would get her more experience and in which she wouldn't want to quit in two days. I know her personality, the waittressing won't work.

I told her to look for a job with variety as there are those out there. I work in a lab and I have varied tasks, which keeps it interesting and challenging. I told her there are jobs like that out there. I am trying hard to think of some of them. So far I thought of recreation counciler, entry level computer advertising graphics, or even doing something to help the community like getting a job at Planned Parenthood. Right now I am stumped, I have been a this for two hours. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

reasontosigh

First - the bad news. Part time jobs are not plentiful at all right now. I'm trying to find one myself, as I'm planning on heading to college - hopefully next month, but it may have to wait till fall. The ones that I have seen out there require anytime availability, which means you must be available any time of day or night - and holidays and weekends as well.

There is a bit of hope, however. She ought to try the temp agencies. They not only hire for temp positions, but also for temp-to-hire. Get the names of all the majors from your Yellow Pages. Most have websites where you can check out the types of jobs they currently have.

She should register with as many as she can, as some could be dry for weeks before they get an ideal assignment for her. Gone are the days where one has to be loyal by being registered with only one agency at a time - of course you don't want to let any of them know how many others you're with either! If an agency doesn't have an ad currently running in the newspapers, simply call to make an appointment.

Good luck.

• Author

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to sway her against the whole temp thing from my experiences with them. Actually I didn't sway her against it, I just thought of it and didn't say anything about it. I just find that these temp agencies just want to use you and throw you away. Loyalty to them, yeah right, why?, they are the last people that are going to be loyal to you.

Anyway, I thought of some good ideas last night, hopefully some of them will work, again thanks for the ideas.