Has this happened to anyone?

Have you ever been fired from a job? (In my case was under duress) Does not matter for unemployment purposes to the new employer, I imagine they would judge that I will be a potential problem and choose to not hire me.

Meanwhile I need to figure out how to handle this with a potential new employer? I know there is a box to contact or not to...but as far as I know they call for the dates of employment? I dont think it would look good at all to not let them contact the previous employer either. What really goes on and can they ask for details etc? This is first time I have ever been terminated in a 25 year work history:o and am very nervous about how to handle this. It wasnt a professional position or anything but still a part of my work history. Some jobs just required last place of employment and that is really negative....Any thoughts....peices of advice? Experiences?

I am afraid this could cause me a real problem with obtaining work.:confused:

Thank you.

Is it possible to not list the job you were terminated? If so, fill in the gap by saying you were on a sabbatical, pursuing an education or decided to spend time raising your children and now ready to return to the workforce.

Or you can list your employer and check the 'do not contact' box b/c, as it was explained to me, not every employee desires their employer to know they are looking for another job. BUT, be aware checking the box does not preclude employers from contacting the listed employer.

In my experience, you only want to list the employers who will speak highly of you and your work.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Tressugar

Essentially what Tressugar said. Not everybody wants their employer to know they are looking for another job and often people do that while still employed. i did, and did not even put my current employer on my CV, I just put the job before that (about 2 years before) who I left on really good terms with and still drop in to talk to every now and then, and I left them to move states anyway so there was no love lost.

You can make up an array of excuses if they ask, say educational purposes (unless it requires proof then don't lie, but if it's entry level/no quals needed then that's a good excuse) or family or 'personal time' or travel/backpacking

Back in 2006 I was fired from a job for reasons that could likely prevent me from being hired ever again if I actually told people about it. Just leave it off your resume and find a way to justify that gap in your life. It's not like potential employers would ever find out unless there was a conviction involved.