Artistic/ entertainment careers

Ideally if I could I'd probably do something artistic/ design clothing. But these don't seem to pay the bills. How do people make it in these fields? It seems it always comes down to who you know and not what you know. How do these people get anywhere? How do you get to the point where you get paid enough full time?

They have to have a combination of things.

First of all, it has to be someone who people like to see and hear. Good looking is a plus, but someone who is confident and just has something about them that makes people enjoy watching them and listening to them.

If your just a person who blends in to a croud when a group is talking, then mainstream entertainment is probably not for them; you have to be able to be in a group, and either be good looking enough, and/or at least look interesting enough as well as being a person that just ... gets peoples attention.

Those are my silly theories anyway.

When it comes to fashion though, some very strange people go that route and are not necessarily characters that people want to talk to or interact with.....

Some designers are downright weird, not that attractive themselves, and just very arrogant or not particularly nice.

Unless you are at least moderately good looking, I would not attempt acting, unless your very passionate, in which case you can perform on stage.

Feelin Frisky

You have to be exceptional at what you do, do it as much as humanly possible, and have someone in the industry see you as a money magnet for THEM. That's what these well-off people who can make you or break you look for--can YOU be produced into something that benefits them? They don't give a crap for people. It's about them. It's much less frequent that anyone is welcomed into the inner sanctum on idealism in their art or a gamble because they see something in you. You can try to run with some players but you don't get a second chance if you ever seem like a potential liability. I learned that the hard way--having no connections and not achieving anything but lip service. They have to see you as as un-needful yourself and lead them to think they need you or can advance by facilitating you.

It's not impossible to succeed as an artist, actor, musician, producer, or other creative type. But assuming you've got and and keep you shi+ together, you have to pole between being cooperative and cut-throat on the fly come what may. Some may resent you intensely for reasons you can't fathom and may even try to sabatoge you for sport.