Choosing between 2 jobs

I have 2 jobs right now and i want to quit one of them.

The 1st job, i've been there for 1.5 years. The work is fairly easy and enjoyable and relaxed, time passes by very quickly. The people there are generally easy to get along with. The benefits are pretty bad and the pay is the same as the 2nd job, but it never goes up. Getting hours is very easy here because a lot of people don't want to work so i can always cover their shifts.

The 2nd job i've been there for 7 months. The work is horribly repetitious and monotonous. Time passes by VERY slowly. Everyone has a part time schedule, my seniority is low, and getting hours isn't too easy, not that I would even want to get hours here. But the benefits are amazing, and it's a huge corporation so there's a much higher chance I could move up to a better position where i'll have an easier time if I stick with it. But it might take at least 1 additional year before I'll be able to bid for another position.

And I plan on going back to school. These are both temprary jobs, not life careers. My reasoning tells me to stick with the first job since I'm going to quit in 4 or 5 years anyway, possibly less than that, to pursue my real career.

Do you guys agree with this?

"The work is horribly repetitious and monotonous. Time passes by VERY slowly. Everyone has a part time schedule, my seniority is low, and getting hours isn't too easy, not that I would even want to get hours here."

If you 'move up' in this company, this will be the corporate culture you will be charged with managing/leading/fostering, presuming you don't buy the company and change the culture.

Myself, I would pick the best opportunity for selling a lateral move to a competitor and look behind door number 3.

• Author

corporate?

oh, no, these are both blue collar jobs.

By "move up", i mean moving from a package sorter to a truck driver or something where my pay is double but it'll take years to be able to get to that position.

I work in the same 'collar' and nearly all of my colleagues are incorporated. Most of what we do is heavy industrial/fabrication/machine work.

What you're describing sounds a lot like UPS/FedEx/DHL etc, all of which are large corporations.

Having been a 'listener' for much of my business life, as well as doing some consulting on hiring in my industry, my opinion is that a better 'fit' results from an employee who enjoys their work/vocation and has aptitude for it and gains satisfaction from the daily challenges faced and overcome.

One decision to consider is whether your style is 'live to work' or 'work to live' and choose your jobs with that style in mind. I've always been the former, which means I won't take a job I don't enjoy, no matter the pay, so I'd have a hard time working in a culture I didn't believe in. Other people think/work differently. We're all individuals.

Do you guys agree with this?

Yes, because your main focus is neither of these two jobs. Your main focus is going back to school. So these two jobs are just paychecks to you. Choose the one that is the best paycheck that allows you to focus on school with the least hassle and stress.