Any one Work in Retail or Hospitality?

Why is it so hard to get jobs?

I want real answers from people in retail and hospitality. I aslo would love advice and help as to how I can get work in those industries, from people who personally do the hiring!

I made a thread about how people living in poverty cannot get jobs in retail or hospitality, working as a food serve in even the cheapest and least classe type of place.

I thought I would link that thread into this one; what are some real sollutions to help people with no skills get into jobs, when they have had NO experience?

My theory is: the government lends them money to do a hospitality or retal certificate 3 or even a diploma, and they can then get a job agency to do up their resume, and to help themselves further, they could get professional job interviewing clothes, and walk around to stores and ask to meet the manager and hand their resume to the manager personally.

I would also like advice for my own predicament.

I am currently trying to get a job in either/or both of those industries (hospitality or retail) in order to study and travel a little, rather than just live off government benifits whilst studying.

I have ten years experience in both industries.

I am great at talking with people in interviews, I am naturally chatty and know what to say by now in interviews.

Unfrotunately, there are SO many affable, qualified people out there, that I do not get most of the jobs I go for, but have had success too so as to know I do not just suck.

I have had a fair bit of success in inerviews, but not even 50% of the time. More like 30%.

Does anyone that works in retail want to check out my resume and give me any feedback on it?

And what are key things you look for in interviews? I have heard them all before but because I badly want work full time, I need to really open m ears as much as I can from people who know what I need to do first hand.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me, and to also talk about wasy in which the most needy people in our communities can get back into paid work, and off goverment benifits.

And studying for 4 years at college on government benifits is often not enough for accommodation, food and transport; even people who want to better themselves cannot always afford to.

Have you tried applying to anything in another field? Like office work or something of that nature?

A lot of the best jobs aren't advertised, and the only way to ever know is to know someone that can tell you. That doesn't help at all of course, but it's the truth sadly.

The big corporations are impossible now, when I was laid off they require you to pass a "personality test" which is rigged and BS, you basically have to answer it as a mindless, snitching drone and they may hire you.

• Like 2
  • Author

Well that did help thanks, I will personally walk around with an array of different resumes that cater to office jobs.

I do not have a degree though and most office jobs require a basic degree, right?

Furthermore, secretaries and receptionists need prior experience as one! Seriously. Most jobs going in those two departments have HUNDREDS of prior receptionists and secretaries going for those jobs. I would have to LIE, get a mate to be my "referee', and be a genius at working computers in order to fake many years of experience in THOSE jobs at least...

How would someone like me compete against the 60 other people who WERE former receptionists, when I have no experience?

*sigh* I am also applying for aviation related jobs, within the airline industries. I have studied tourism for a while, am fairly well travelled, and am very passionate about travel and the airline industry.

My partner has it SO much easier than I do regarding findig full time work! He is into labour intensive jobs, such as the dudes who cut down trees for people (from rich people to public parks).

He can slso drive trucks and forklifts. Once he moves on to semi's and gets his escavator licence he will be able to get SOOOOOOOOO Many jobs within the DAY he applies for them.

So he is not even interested in studying, as he can get work EASILY in those above fields. He likes learning, but would rather do it from watching documentaries, rather than study for years on end in order to get a "good paying job" when he can just get it by doing a two day truck driving course.

It does cost to get those escavator and truck driving tickets, but no where close to the cost of a degree.

Hence why I am thinking of doing shorter certificates instead of a degree - infinitly cheaper and still a respectable career (such as a retail travel agent, a personal trainer, or a child care worker)

Have you tried applying to anything in another field? Like office work or something of that nature?

A lot of the best jobs aren't advertised, and the only way to ever know is to know someone that can tell you. That doesn't help at all of course, but it's the truth sadly.

The big corporations are impossible now, when I was laid off they require you to pass a "personality test" which is rigged and BS, you basically have to answer it as a mindless, snitching drone and they may hire you.

I worked in retail years before landing my current office job. I'd never go back if I had the choice. Not only do you have to pass all the unicru type questionaires just to get an interview but think about it. With the economy the way it is and the fact that ANYONE can have these jobs makes them even more competitive. You are competing with everyone else who has no skills for these jobs.

I've found office jobs are easier to get and they pay more in my experience. If you are applying to a job in which you need to meet certian criteria, you are dealing with less applicants...still a lot, but less. You aren't competing with all the highschoolers and others without experience. Because of this, they have loads of people to pick from for these jobs and you need to make yourself stand out somehow.

• Like 1

Hi Leigh,

I've worked in retail for most of my life, and I have lots of experience with regard to hiring people. I have an equal amount of experience in both sales and merchandising management.

If you're applying to a sales-driven industry, do make sure you hand in your resume to a manager. Resumes get lost in the shuffle and sometimes won't even make it to a manager if you just drop it off. I would often do an immediate interview if someone made a good impression on me.

It might sound strange, but I always liked a firm handshake upon meeting a potential hire. A manager is going to meet you and decide within 10 seconds if they want to hire you. I can't tell you how many times I took a resume from someone only to pitch it in the garbage without reading it because they made a bad or mediocre impression.

Don't ask if they are hiring, don't ask if you can leave your resume- approach every manager as if they are hiring and sell yourself to them. When I managed, I didn't care about their experience- I only judged if they could sell for me or not. I always felt that if a person could walk in and sell themselves to me, they could sell for me.

I'm not sure if you are applying to chain, big box, independent- but your approach to getting hired would be different depending on the type of retail environment you want to get into.

With regard to your resume, when it comes to retail, your education should not be the first thing you highlight. Skills and relevant work experience is what they want to look at. If you don't have relevant work experience, you should tailor your resume to highlight your skills and experience that relate to the job environment you are applying to.

Right now, most places are hiring seasonal employees because of the Christmas rush- so it's a great time to get your foot in the door somewhere.

Can you be more specific about what position you want and perhaps where? Maybe if you're more specific, I could guide you through a more thorough approach if that would help. A good rule of thumb is to seek work in retail where you are already a customer.:)

• Like 2
  • Author

Your just the person I was after!

Well, first of all I do only hand my resume in to stores where the manager is present. I have always figured the fastes way to get a job was to talk to the manager first hand and be able to sell yourself to them.

I have gotten jobs that way.

Unfortunately, I have been not feelin it some of the times (tired, stressed, strung out, just had a cigarette and feel sh*tty) and I KNOW I made a not so good impression, and I KNEW right there and then that "damn, I wish I had been more myself and relaxed and just nailed it"

I have an interview with a jewellery store on Thursday. Jewellery, clothes, handbags, and shoes are ALL areas I am passionate about.

So when they ask me about the job, I plan to tell them

" well, I have had a lot of experience in retail, and I am also really passionate about jewellary and am a seasoned customer in most of the main stores. I would really love to work in this particular store because

--- I will research the company, and then say something casual/ not too full on about WHY I want to work for THAT brand (for instance, " I want to take my extensive retail experience and use it in an area I am passionate about, like jewellary, and with a company like ___ for its long standing reputation and 25 years in the industry")

I would not say "25 years" in the industry, that is weird if I know exactly how long, but I WILL allude to the fact I have done my research, and say something like " I know you guys have been around for a long time, a little over 20 years I think I read recently on your website"

Basically, I will sell myself by saying:

- I have a lot of experience to offer

- I have loved workin in the retail industry and particularly love the customer service element

- I really feel strongly about YOUR store and the products in it

I am honest with interviewers; if I love the company and products in it, I think it should be okay to just say, when they ASK why youw ant to work there and what special quality you wil bring, I would say something like

"well, I really want a job here, so the fact I would be working for a place I really want to work at would show in my every day work. I believe if you love your job you will be more successfull, and I am going for this job because I think I would love it"

I just tell them that I really want the job and my genuine desire to be there would show to customers.

Now, I could be wrong on many fronts here D- LISH, so PLEASE. HONEST FEEDBACK and ADVICE!

Leigh, interestingly enough - I think it seems easy to get jobs in the hospitality/ tourism industry in your country. My daughter (25 years old, no degree, American) was just hired to work at a resort there as a tour guide. It seemed like there were many places looking for help and there are agencies actively recruiting foreign people for jobs in Australia.

Okay- I can help. Is the store an independent store, or a chain? Is it high end, medium end, or low end? The retail area you seem to be passionate about is called "accessories/hardware". I'd like to know if it's higher end (designer originals), or medium end (like, say GUESS), or lower end (costume jewelry, knock-off's, imitations).

You are heading in the right direction if you already have some passion for the product you would be selling.

Would your position be to sell, merchandise, and cash people out? I ask questions like this because it's all relevant to the hiring process.

Just tell me something about the company without saying the name and I can help prepare you.:)

• Author
Leigh, interestingly enough - I think it seems easy to get jobs in the hospitality/ tourism industry in your country. My daughter (25 years old, no degree, American) was just hired to work at a resort there as a tour guide. It seemed like there were many places looking for help and there are agencies actively recruiting foreign people for jobs in Australia.

Well it is not easy for me too..

I am not bad looking, well presented, talk as though I am educated (in real life, not as much online:lmao:), and am VERY passionate about customer service.

So I do not know how your daughter so easily got work! I am very much a peoples person and love dealing with people in my jobs in those industries.....

Go figure.

And no. I do not give off weird vibes. I keep my personal life private and do not let it impact my performance.

• Author
Okay- I can help. Is the store an independent store, or a chain? Is it high end, medium end, or low end? The retail area you seem to be passionate about is called "accessories/hardware". I'd like to know if it's higher end (designer originals), or medium end (like, say GUESS), or lower end (costume jewelry, knock-off's, imitations).

You are heading in the right direction if you already have some passion for the product you would be selling.

Would your position be to sell, merchandise, and cash people out? I ask questions like this because it's all relevant to the hiring process.

Just tell me something about the company without saying the name and I can help prepare you.:)

Thanks thanks thanks....

The company is Prouds, the jewellers. It is middle of the range, I am guessing; not a well known expensive chain with unafordable jewellery. It has some very affordable things, right through to expensive engagement rings.

I am going to buy a nice black skirt, black tights, I have good qualiy leather sandels (albiet they could use a polish), and a grey blouse; I hate white ones, as I am sort of top heavy and I like the illusion my hips and bottom half is bigger, and I wear black tops to disguise my slight apple shape.

So a nice skirt, blouse, shoes, and a cool handbag to show I have good style, and detract from the otherwise boring colour scheme.

I want to tell them good responses to :why I would be good for the roll, what drew me to the roll, and etc etc....

I THINK I know what to say, but hearing the things YOU like the most, would really help me and make me more confident!

I am not bad looking, well presented, talk as though I am educated (in real life, not as much online:lmao:), and am VERY passionate about customer service.

So I do not know how your daughter so easily got work! I am very much a peoples person and love dealing with people in my jobs in those industries.....

Go figure.

And no. I do not give off weird vibes. I keep my personal life private and do not let it impact my performance.

Depends on where you live as well! Small town verses big city... it's different.

I am giving you advice from Ontario, Canada- and our economy is different, so it's all relevant. I don't know where you live.

I can however, despite geography, give you advice on how to put together a good resume, and put forth a good interview to get yourself hired.

First things first- how is your resume for spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, etc? That is something that is worth checking twice.

Thanks thanks thanks....

The company is Prouds, the jewellers. It is middle of the range, I am guessing; not a well known expensive chain with unafordable jewellery. It has some very affordable things, right through to expensive engagement rings.

I am going to buy a nice black skirt, black tights, I have good qualiy leather sandels (albiet they could use a polish), and a grey blouse; I hate white ones, as I am sort of top heavy and I like the illusion my hips and bottom half is bigger, and I wear black tops to disguise my slight apple shape.

So a nice skirt, blouse, shoes, and a cool handbag to show I have good style, and detract from the otherwise boring colour scheme.

I want to tell them good responses to :why I would be good for the roll, what drew me to the roll, and etc etc....

I THINK I know what to say, but hearing the things YOU like the most, would really help me and make me more confident!

Okay, well appearance is important, it's the first thing they see. Stop by and see what employees wear so you get an idea- try and mimic that "look" for an interview. You want to be "polished", and make sure you don't smell like smoke (as you mentioned before you do smoke).

Researching the product is good, it's even okay to be overly excited about the product. If you have questions in an interview, never make them about pay or benefits- never ever. An interviewer will always ask you at the end if you have questions- ask questions about things like uniform and work- wear- never bring up money:cool: When an interviewer asks you at the end of your interview if you have questions- you SHOULD ask questions.

• Like 1
  • Author
Okay, well appearance is important, it's the first thing they see. Stop by and see what employees wear so you get an idea- try and mimic that "look" for an interview. You want to be "polished", and make sure you don't smell like smoke (as you mentioned before you do smoke).

Researching the product is good, it's even okay to be overly excited about the product. If you have questions in an interview, never make them about pay or benefits- never ever. An interviewer will always ask you at the end if you have questions- ask questions about things like uniform and work- wear- never bring up money:cool: When an interviewer asks you at the end of your interview if you have questions- you SHOULD ask questions.

I will PM you my current retail resume.

And I always do ask questions: I always ask " so, how long have you worked for the company?"

Rather than write a pm for how to nail the interview, I think it would be more helpfull to put it on here, so as to help others who might need it, so your words are not wasted on just one person!

And I live in Australia; the jewellery store, u can look at online if your bored; Prouds the jewellers.

I will pm you my retail resume, thanks again for all your help! I REALLY want this job and I want them to see that I am the best person hahahaha

Probably helped that she is willing to go live in a very remote place (in Tasmania) at a resort to be a nature tour guide - going without any friends, boyfriend, or anything like that.

But there ARE agencies aggressively recruiting for workers in the tourism industry in Australia, especially catering to students and young people who are having a "gap year" between high school and university. Among students in Europe and in the US who work in seasonal tourism jobs, Australia is considered to be an easy place to pick up some seasonal work.

So, if you are willing to leave your parents' home and go live and work at a resort, I think that opportunities exist.

A while back you were posting about going to work in Western Australia and that there was a lot of well-paying work there. Have you abandoned that idea?

• Author
Probably helped that she is willing to go live in a very remote place (in Tasmania) at a resort to be a nature tour guide - going without any friends, boyfriend, or anything like that.

But there ARE agencies aggressively recruiting for workers in the tourism industry in Australia, especially catering to students and young people who are having a "gap year" between high school and university. Among students in Europe and in the US who work in seasonal tourism jobs, Australia is considered to be an easy place to pick up some seasonal work.

So, if you are willing to leave your parents' home and go live and work at a resort, I think that opportunities exist.

A while back you were posting about going to work in Western Australia and that there was a lot of well-paying work there. Have you abandoned that idea?

I would absolutely re locate to work in that industry.

I do not care about lack of friends or relationships. ANdrew and I know we want to be together, and absence has only ever made out love grow.

I am certain we would last if I worked full time in a resort for a year, saved, and was then able to travel on my own accord, without any help from parentals.....

In fact, REALLY!?!?!??!? I cannot believe this could happen for me if I tried my best to find work! I never thougth of that option!!!

Do you think I have a shot? I am great with people, have a lot of experience in customer service, and am into travelling and tourism.

By the way - I am FROM Tasmania! Lived there 23 years.....

• Author

I am going to email my resumes to resorts ASAP. Maybe even tonight.

And there is a job at a handbag store, a store that I SO love; it right around the corner from where I live too!

I rang the manage to see if she would be there today, and said "hi, I'm Leigh" and introduced myself, and explained how much experience I had, and why I was interested in the roll.

She said to come in today and hand in my resume.

Bags are my thing lol I have so many bags, albiet very cheapest of cheat ones from Hong Kong, ILOVE bags, I love having a new one depending on my every mood.

I actually have a lot of fun in the menial jobs I have gone had.....

Go get 'em! I have zero knowledge in how to get a job - my current employers will basically hire anyone - so I can't give advice, just support.

• Author

Haha thanks for your support then!

And I think I will be right - I have a job during Christmas lined up, and there seams to be a few opportunities at the moment in addition to that job I already have secured.

I walked around the corner to the local Subway and asked about work, they said they are understaffed and the nice girl I talked with was just like me, and just got hired two weeks ago.

I am going in Friday to talk with the manager.

I would love to have this Christmas I already have PLUSS another on the side, but would have to make up lies when both call me in.

I used to interview at an internet service provider. My best guess is that your not present yourself the way you think you are. Being chatty in an interview is not generally a good thing. You have to think about who is interviewing you. Is it someone in HR? Someone in HR wnats to hear that you are the most qualified, amazing candidate for the position. A manager interviewing you wants to know that your

1) a good communicator (you will let them know if there is a problem)

2) friendly (this one trait will get you father than any other)

3) you will make them look good (you'll get quality work done quickly, you're helpful, etc.)

A coworker interview you wants to know that you're friendly and you won't make them look bad. They don't want to hear that you're the best employee ever, because they'll look worse for it.

At these interviews, smile often. Remember everyone's name from the secretary on your way in to each interviewer. When you're done speaking with someone. Smile and say thank you [insert name here]. One of your posts said that you would water down your knowledge of their brand. DO NOT DO THAT. There is nothing better than having someone seem enthusiastic about work. The fact that you know a handful of details that the average interviewee shows that you show initiative. That's great. Don't hide that.

Abystarswoman
make sure you don't smell like smoke (as you mentioned before you do smoke).

Especially this. I once lost out on a VERY good-paying job opportunity because I made the mistake of smoking a cigarette just before I went in and I foolishly thought having a mint would cover it up. Little did I know that the employer was EXTREMELY sensitive to cigarette smoke and instantly knew.

He ended the interview with, "Well, I would hire you, but I'm afraid that I cannot tolerate your smoking, so I must regretfully decline your application. Good luck."

Talk about humiliated. I had never felt so stupid in my life. :(

Now that I'm 7 years quit, I also can instantly tell when someone's been smoking cigarettes. It's pervasive. And it doesn't smell good at all.

Please avoid the mistake I made!!!