Anyone know how to get a book published???

glasshammer

anyone know how to go about publishing a book? and getting it in stores???

I've always wanted to write a book about being a teen and how to cope with teenage problems,

but never knew how to have it published or sell it or put it in stores....

I know i could probab;y find a book on how to get a book published but was wondering

if anyone out there knew off the top of their head.

Thanks in advance

Write the manuscript and find a seasoned literary agent. You may be able to find a publisher yourself but be prepared to be rejected many times before your work may be accepted.

Its really tough. Really tough. I got 2 books, no takers, almost made it twice though. I got a quote;

DONT give up until one entire wall of the house is covered with rejection slips.

I hope this helps.

• Author
glasshammer

wow, two Whole books and rejection after rejection?

see, that's what i was looking for, Thank you.

I know I could read up on this stuff, but I wanted to get the real

deal from someone who's actually tried.

Thanks Guys

Well, I'm no novelist or Pulitzer Prize winner, but I wrote and illustrated several children's books...two of which were FINALLY published. It took a lot of perseverance and ignoring rejection after rejection from the larger publishing firms who didn’t think the subject matter (Native Americans) was marketable or profitable at the time.

Of course, I LOVE a challenge, and telling me “there was not enough interest” made me all the more determined to prove to myself that I COULD --- and so can you!

The biggest help to me was a publication entitled: The Writer’s Guide which listed hundreds of publishers and the type of manuscripts they were interested in. It also gave detailed instructions on submitting query letters and preparing manuscripts for review.

Try this one: Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers, Editors and Literary Agents 2004 (Writer's Guide to Book Editors, Publishers, and Literary Agents.) (Paperback)

I also got lucky, in that a local retired English professor took an interest in my project and decided to help me edit my manuscript to meet the reading level of the age group we were targeting. As it turns out, she had also helped another local author who wrote the book On Golden Pond. She painstakingly went over all seven manuscripts and helped me with the editing process FREE OF CHARGE! Since she was the one who found me, I still believe to this very day that there was a Higher Power who took pity on me and sent me the help I needed.

Eventually, I found a small publisher who dealt exclusively with Native American subject matter and they were HAPPY to take on the project. I was so darn excited that my books were finally being published, that I decided to “thank” the *powers that be* by donating all the profits back to the Lakota children who inspired the project. All the proceeds went to the Saint Joseph’s Indian School. Wasn’t interested at all in making money, I just wanted to challenge myself and see if I could do it! And I truly believe that good intent brings about good fortune.

I hope, if anything, that sharing my story will help to inspire you to keep going. Don’t ever give up, and don’t ever let anyone tell you “you can’t!”