Would it be bad to date my manager?

I've been working at a retail store for a few months now and the manager of the store and I have been getting really close. I'm 18 and he's 24. The work environment is super laid back since it's like a skater type of store, so the employees are all either oblivious or they don't care about any type of relationship we might have, but I feel like there were always be the few who may think I'm being favored or something like that. Plus there's the whole age difference thing. Is six years too much?

So between employees possibly getting weird about it and the age difference, would it be worth it to give it a try? I don't want to come off to everyone like the dumb girl who's "with" the manager :confused:

Bad move

If you start dating, colleagues who do not seem bothered at the moment will start feeling you are favoured and will be less likely to trust you when they moan about work. His superiors will also more than likely have problems with this - he may have to declare the relationship and one of you may end up being transferred (or worse)

It will be extremely difficult for him to objectively manage you and discipline you if needed - what happens when you and someone else are up for promotion and in competition etc

Apart from all that, think about what happens if it does not work out

• Like 2

If you would otherwise date the man, irrespective of the job situation, and you don't care if you get terminated or regarding the impact on future job seeking, I'd say go with what works, presuming mutual interest. If he asks you on a date and you want to accept, do so and see where it goes, mindful of the caveats I mentioned prior. Good luck.

• Author

By the way, this a super chill job, for me at least. It's kind of what I'm doing just to fill time since most of my friends are away at universities and I'm working on my G.E. at my town's college. So it's not like I'm planning on making a career out of this job.

An example would be working as a waitress and dating the restaurant manager while going to school to be a CPA. There's little to no social/professional connection in most social/business environments so any adverse issues would be unlikely to transfer, especially considering that you're 18.

Assuming you're not living independently, what do your parents have to say about this? Parents generally know their children far better than anonymous posters on an internet forum. As a father, I'd have my concerns, mainly because of the age difference and the supervisor/subordinate relationship. I'd also recognize that you're an adult and are tasked to make your own decisions and accept the responsibility of consequences. That's where my advice came from. Good luck.

It could work out. I started dating my manager 12 years ago and we still work together and live together. Yeah I know people probably think I get special treatment, and I admit I probably do with somethings. However, its never really caused a problem with anyone or anything. My case is not normal though and work place romances usually end badly for everyone involved.

If you really think this guy though and think you guys could have something, I think its worth it to give it a try.

By the way, this a super chill job, for me at least. It's kind of what I'm doing just to fill time since most of my friends are away at universities and I'm working on my G.E. at my town's college. So it's not like I'm planning on making a career out of this job.

Your job may not be important to you but that does not mean his job is not important to him. Think of the implications for him as well as yourself in this

• Like 2

Not necessarily preferential treatment, but if you both work there, it's a conflict of interest. You are an employee, he is the boss. If you do something against the rules, it would probably make it hard for him to fire you. If you are adamant about pursuing a relationship with him seriously, I would look for another job. If you break-up, it's going to be awkward to work together either way.

• Like 1
MuscleCarFan

I agree with the others. If you really want to pursue a relationship with this guy, then find another job first that way there is no conflict of interest.