What does it mean when you get this question in the beginning of a interview?

"Tell me a little bit about yourself"

I was asked this question at a recent interview and everything went downhill from there because it was such a "loaded question" and not only that, I had never ever been asked that question before at a job interview.

• Like 1

I was asked this question at a recent interview and everything went downhill from there because it was such a "loaded question" and not only that, I had never ever been asked that question before at a job interview.

Keep it short and to the point. Typically they want to know what's not on your resume, like your career goals, why you're applying for the job, what kind of intangibles you bring to the company, and so on. If you touch on those things, you've probably touched on about 75 percent of the conversation topics. It's up to them to ask more questions. Every question is potentially loaded, but you can unload it by just answering directly and getting to the point. Always think in terms of what you think you can do for the company. Know the job description as much as possible going, and then match everything that you possess to that.

• Like 3

I have been asked it and asked it myself. Not just for job interviews but for intro meetings in general.

It translates to briefly describing your current employment (or most current, or experience, education, or product/skill/field) , why this particular position is of interest to you. A lead in to Q & A.

In some cases, meaning non entry positions - it means: Give me your presentation / pitch.

Abystarswoman

As someone that used to conduct interviews for their human resources department, I can safely say that the purpose of the question is for the employer to see how you handle yourself in what could be considered an "unstructured" situation. I rather enjoyed being asked this question during a job interview, because it provided me an opportunity to really "sell myself up" - after all, a job interview is nothing more than selling a product (in this case, you).

There's really no "wrong" answer to this question - except answering it with the question, "Well, what do you want to know?" Answering the question THAT way just shows them that you're totally unprepared and therefore might give the impression that you won't be ready to take on tasks at the last minute or that you need a lot of time to prioritize, which could come off as, well, not so good.

Hope I helped with your question!

I'd be sooooo tempted to say, "I like long walks, starry nights ... and poking dead things with sticks," simply because that's my warped sense of humor ~ heck, when an editor of the local daily paper asked me "How's your grammar?" I replied with a smile, "oh, she's *great*!" Wrong response. Turns out while he was a nice guy to work with, his sense of humor didn't jibe with mine. I did get the job, though I worked very hard to curb that humor the year I was there. Job after that was great, simply because my editor and fellow reporter had the same warped sense of humor and it wasn't uncommon for us to end "staff meetings" poking fun of things.

I hate having to pitch myself because it feels a lot like bragging, which I hate to no end. I'd much rather let my personality unfold through the interview and if there are specific questions, I'll answer them.

• Like 1

I've been asked that at multiple jobs over the years. I hate the question but I never let it bother me. I just start explaining my likes/dislikes and what I'm capable of doing and the services I can deliver to said job. It's worked out a lot more times than not.

I was on an interview today, as a matter of fact. The employer asked me a question about why I quit my last job. I looked him in the eye and said that the boss had a temper and lost it with me over small things. I wasn't able to deal with that at the time so I left. But it's taught me a lot about myself and how much I'm willing to put in and how it will show in what I'll get back, etc. He liked the answer and guess what, I got the job! :p

I concur.. I think it's an opportunity to sell personal qualities/experiences that make you stand out in the noise that aren't part of your Res.

IE: ,traveled the world, volunteer somewhere, interested in languages, play a team sport in free time, waste the rest on lockshack blahblahblah

Edited by Hawaii50
  • Like 2
  • Author

I think I got it now

Basically discuss how my personality traits and hobbies are a good match for the the job I;m applying for through past experiences