Telling perspective employers that your current job is toxic

It may be time to leave my current Job:(. It's a solid company but it's currently stuck in the 80's and in our industry that is a death curse. The top people are in complete denial. There is constant head butting between the younger vp's and the top brass. Bottom line,it's toxic and because of this I feel extremely ineffective and anxious.

When interviewing how do you tactfully answer the why are you wanting to leave your current job question? For me that is a very loaded question.

Any suggestions?

This is easy.

just say you have enjoyed your time at x company but you feel it is time to move on to new opportunities.

don't say anything negative about your current employer.

• Like 3
It may be time to leave my current Job:(. It's a solid company but it's currently stuck in the 80's and in our industry that is a death curse. The top people are in complete denial. There is constant head butting between the younger vp's and the top brass. Bottom line,it's toxic and because of this I feel extremely ineffective and anxious.

When interviewing how do you tactfully answer the why are you wanting to leave your current job question? For me that is a very loaded question.

Any suggestions?

I would avoid talking about it unless you're asked about it directly. If it comes up at all, then you'll need to find an artful way to keep it light and positive. Your interviewer is screening for anything negative, so maximize the positive.

• Like 2

I also have a similar question. My husband has taken a minimum wage job to make ends meet while looking for a better paying job that will get him experience in the field he wants to get into once graduating college next year. So it's imperative he get experience as soon as he can and until then taking this job to bring in some income. What is a good way to approach this if a prospective employer asks or wonders why he wants to leave the job so soon? I hear from most that you don't have to include all your jobs on a resume as a resume is mainly to promote experience revalent to the job you are applying for. Basically selling yourself. Like you wouldn't put down you served coffee if you are applying to be an associate manager, unless it's an associate manager of a coffee shop.

• Like 1
I also have a similar question. My husband has taken a minimum wage job to make ends meet while looking for a better paying job that will get him experience in the field he wants to get into once graduating college next year. So it's imperative he get experience as soon as he can and until then taking this job to bring in some income. What is a good way to approach this if a prospective employer asks or wonders why he wants to leave the job so soon? I hear from most that you don't have to include all your jobs on a resume as a resume is mainly to promote experience revalent to the job you are applying for. Basically selling yourself. Like you wouldn't put down you served coffee if you are applying to be an associate manager, unless it's an associate manager of a coffee shop.

If your husband has been working there for a very short time--less than five months, then he shouldn't add that job to his resume or mention it. If it's more than a few months that he's there, he'll need to mention it on his resume, or otherwise the prospective employer will wonder why he's been unemployed for so long. Any large gaps of unemployment are usually a red flag for an employer and they'll wonder about it and ask about it. He could tell the employer than he took that job to make ends meet while he was looking for something in his field. I think prospective employers would be understanding of that.

• Like 2

That's generally true, although it depends on the circumstances. Obviously, he should include whatever jobs an employer asks for on an actual application for employment document. But on the resume itself, you're probably correct in assuming that it's not necessary to include low-wage service jobs unless an advertisement specifically asks for a work history that includes each place of employment, which is not typical in my experience.

As far as wanting to leave his job for one in his field, I think that would probably explain itself. I think that the days of sheepishly having to explain why you're not in your dream job are over. Everyone has to be an economic survivor and that means doing what it takes to stay employed. Maybe it's just me, but I would have a ton of respect for someone who swallowed some pride and took a small-time service job just to get out of the house and keep working, as opposed to someone who just sits around at home, watches television, and fires off resumes from a p.c. and then comes in with an attitude about how he doesn't have his dream job yet.

The reason why it's not altogether bad to take such work goes back to something I've said before: there are probably a lot of people who can do your job (my job), but not everyone can do it well. Anyone can be an employee, but not everyone is going to be a good employee. It's amazing how even in bad economic times there are still plenty of people out there who sabotage their own reputation by being nothing more than average. Someone who's willing to gut it out at a regular job is showing character; showing everyone that he's not going to feel sorry for himself; that he's a doer and not a talker. The key is being able to communicate that in an interview.

Edited by Fugu
  • Like 1

Any suggestions?

I remember going for an interview with a well respected firm, while I was working for a very toxic one. They sent a lot of bait out, during the interview, to see if I would start offloading. While they didn't actually say "So, Taramere...you're working with a bunch of notoriously dysfunctional losers at the moment, and we'd like to hear a bit about how that's working out for you..." the implication was there.

I came out with something along the lines of my current firm not being one I was very well suited to...but I didn't go into details, and as soon as I could I switched the focus away from "why I want to leave that firm" to "why I want to work for this firm". They gave me the job, and they didn't bother asking the previous employer for a reference.

Often companies are well aware of their competitors' weaknesses/office politics and really just want to see whether you're capable of discretion when given the opportunity to spill your guts about it.

That's generally true, although it depends on the circumstances. Obviously, he should include whatever jobs an employer asks for on an actual application for employment document. But on the resume itself, you're probably correct in assuming that it's not necessary to include low-wage service jobs unless an advertisement specifically asks for a work history that includes each place of employment, which is not typical in my experience.

That's what I was also thinking, because I seem to know people who add all jobs to their resume and people who don't about 50/50. I think in an application where you have to provide work history, it is essential you list all your history, because they may do an employment history check. I agree, usually when an employer just wants a resume from you and doesn't require you fill out an application and work history, they are looking for skills, education and experience that would be beneficial and relevent for the job. A resume is essentially, unlike a general application, is that you are trying to sell yourself the best way possible to that job or field.

I remember going for an interview with a well respected firm, while I was working for a very toxic one. They sent a lot of bait out, during the interview, to see if I would start offloading. While they didn't actually say "So, Taramere...you're working with a bunch of notoriously dysfunctional losers at the moment, and we'd like to hear a bit about how that's working out for you..." the implication was there.

Oh wow, honestly that seems a bit unprofessional for a prospective employer to be that direct. :eek: I've never had an employer make assumptions about my current job.