In an "employer's market," how many hoops before you say, "Enough!"?

Currently I am an adjunct professor at a branch of a large community college. I responded to a job ad for an adjunct position at another branch of the same college, that specifies the "position" is to teach a section of one guaranteed-transfer course this fall. It's fine to teach at several branches at once; you just have to be hired separately by each branch, each of which has its own staff and protocol, etc.

The ad asked for my resume, cover letter, transcripts, a sample class plan, the syllabus from the course I currently am teaching, and as a bonus I threw in a document illustrating the kinds of detailed comments I give to my current students.

I was asked to have a telephone interview with the dean and the full-time professor leading the job search on Monday. I was asked at the end of the day today, Friday. It turns out that in addition to all of the above materials, I'm expected to grade and provide detailed editing and comments on a sample student essay and submit it to them by Tuesday.

This rubs me the wrong way, and here's why: One, I'm already employed by the same institution and am currently teaching the same course (college writing) they're interviewing me to teach this fall. Two, I already gave them SEVEN single-spaced, type-written cover pages that I routinely attach to each of my students' papers, so surely that is enough to see how I grade and comment upon papers. Three, I have been a professional editor at a range of prestigious institutions for ten years, so that alone says something about my editorial skills for things like grammar, punctuation, and style. Four, it's a weekend before a mid-week major national holiday, and I'm notified of this task just a few days before they want it done?

And last, and this is the biggest one: the interview is NOT for a full-time, salaried teaching position or even for a salaried part-time position. It is ONLY to teach ONE section this fall of a course I already am teaching. The total pay in question, before taxes, is $2100 for a 14-week course. In this same course I'm teaching currently, already I spend 12-14 hours a week at least grading and commenting upon papers. I am not paid for that time, and I have a full schedule working a vast array of hodge-podge jobs to cover my bills.

I think it's disrespectful to expect that I complete a two- to three-hour "assignment" that would tell them the same things that a close look at the materials I already gave them would tell.

What are other people's thoughts? I'm tempted to just submit one of my own students' papers so that at least the time spent is time dedicated to my current students, whose papers I'm responsible for grading, anyway, so I'd be killing two birds with one stone. And if I do that and they say, "Well, you were supposed to do this one we gave you," I'd say, "Look, I understand you need to evaluate all of the aspects that go into teaching this course, but you have to understand that I have to make a living, I have limited time, and my current students need the time I have available to give thoughtful feedback on their papers. Because folks, THAT'S the kind of teacher I am."

I just feel angry any way I cut it at the arrogance implicit in asking so very much for such small financial return.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Any thoughts are helpful.

It seems to be ridiculous when you have a proven track record.

i applied for a couple jobs that wouldn't even interview me unless i had this entry level certification. i mean my god major major companies have trusted me with their systems for years. Do they not see how silly they are being? They would take some person who memorised answers to this test in a weekend dump over someone with 2 decades of experience at major companies around the world.