Plaigarism and Schoolteachers

Jenny's post in the ex-email-reading thread reminds me--I have a teacher who has accused me three times of plaigarizing. It's really starting to piss me off, as he doesn't confront me about it, instead he just finds other ways to mark down the paper, adding phrases like "Are these your words???" and "How do you know what these terms mean???" in the margins. I find it personally insulting. On my report on Chaim Potok's the Chosen, he was astonished that I used the terms "Zionism" and "Darwinism" in my response.

Zionism is a crucial element of the plot of the book, so even if I didn't know what it meant, I'd have to look it up in order to comprehend the story. As for Darwinism, one look at my transcript would have provided him with the fact that I got a 98 in Biology--which would be damn near impossible without a full understanding of Mr. Darwin and his ideas.

It'd be different if I wasn't a good student, but I am. I win writing awards, and have never had a poor grade in an English class. I think that through my academic performance, I have earned the benefit of the doubt.

The worst part is, he hasn't formally accused me of anything. I got a C on my report, but he said it was because I didn't explain how the seperation between Liberal Judaism and Hasidism affected the paternal relationship of the protagonists. If he'd had said it was because I plaigarized, I would have been happy, because I could raise hell. But this way, he not only justifies his notoriously subjective grading, but he also gets to take a stab at my academic integrity in the process.

The guy gives one A per semester, and I'm determined to get it. I think it would be best if I just continue to prove myself until he either drops his little game, or decides to bring formal accusations against me. Should I make waves now, likely ruining my chance of receiving his A, or should I stick with my plan?

Go with da plan, man. There are few things as galling as being wrongly accused of anything (sighhh)

Happened to me in grade school. I wrote a Christmas poem which got read out over the intercom. Afterwards, lots of the kids accused me of plaigiarizing. I was young enough then that it cured me of wanting to write.

Don't let this twit get to you. Unfortunately, you don't really have anything on which to base an accusation.

Perhaps you could at some point enlist the aid of some of your English teachers to explain your talents to him. However, if his grading is 'notoriously subjective' as you say, then other teachers won't give it much credence anyway. Just continue to be your eloquent self.

holy crap! the cardinal rule of this kind of thing is to never, ever, accuse without hard proof. i'm actually shocked by this - it's totally against all set procedure for handling this kind of thing.

it's a compliment, i guess, we don't usually do that for any but the best of papers; but never ever without proof. i'm actually sputtering; it's a form of slander, what he's doing. (now i'm sputtering like yoda) seriously, this is terrible, and totally against proper form. i've been teaching for about 9 years now, but even as a newbie i knew better.

i'd say go in and ask him leading questions. if he's a subjective grader, and tries to mystify the process, i'll my bippy (such as it is) that he's lazy and will not be up for a fight.

for example: ask how *did* the separation affect patrilineage; and how that might reflect literary tradition itself, blah. (the 'anxiety of influence' - huzzah!) he may just be one of those teachers who should have stayed home with their parrots.

for the A, here's what you do, politically. enlist the subtle support of another teacher/counselor that you like and trust. just explain your ideas in the paper and talk about how you can't wait to hand it in, when you hand it in mention how you spoke to this other teacher about it, if possible. i have advocated a number of times for students in your position, partly because i tend to favour the ones brighter than me. :p

this sucks, i know, but it will work, in all likelihood. it's easy to be corrupt undetected, less so if there are colleagues on the look-out and buzzed about you as a student.

Difficult one - but even if it's a gross injustice your attitude is the right one - work harder! Not necessarily because of him (although yes, aiming for the ever elusive A-grade is a good goal) but to create a conclusive body of quality work that will stand up should you have to confront him. Since you said he's a hard grader it does seem at least he's hard on everyone for one reason or another - yours if just particularly insulting. Still, it will also be character building (I'm not being condescending but the fact of the matter is people like this exist everywhere, in every field and we have two ways of reacting; either we give up trying (and let them win) or be as good as we can (and win - A grade or not)).

I would respectfully approach him regarding the marginal notes and explain as many times as he writes them that yes, you do understand the terms you've used and you if his belief that that was not the case influenced your grade you would appreciate he reevaluates it. I repeat do this respectfully and if you feel you'll get angry and accusatory then leave it be. For the time being.

As for being down graded for a missing argument or line of reasoning, there's little you can do about that but produce work of the highest quality. Potentially frustrating since keeping your work to the size stipulated AND covering all possible bases is near on impossible and he'll probably always produce a line of reasoning you didn't include. Still think how your writing will improve.

I have a good friend, who was taught at home in Africa. Arriving at school as an immigrant at about 9 she once wrote an essay and was given zero for 'cheating' (ie copying in it all out of a book) although every word had been her own. The teacher explained that it was 'impossible' that she (undoubtedly mentally adding a home educated African immigrant) could have produced work of such high quality. My friend cried all the way home. When she told her father he told her that she was going to have to understand that was just the way it would be in their new homeland and she would have to be twice as good because she was black and twice again because she was a girl and double that because she was an immigrant. She went on have a highly distinguished and extremely successful career as an architect; she sights that experience as one that made her so ambitious.

So, no don't confront but do defend yourself if accused of plagiarism - speak to your teacher respectfully. If you feel that the grade stands out not in relation to other teachers but that you have been under graded in relation to others in your class, fight your corner. If he's been hard on everyone indiscriminately, work harder.

Put 'iron in you soul'.

Respect.

R.

Would it be too uncomfortable to talk to him directly "man-to-man" after class?

Just ask him why he made those remarks and let him know that you take your academic integrity (and your reputation) seriously. Don't get loud and fired up, but just be stern and straightforward.

As for grades, always try to do your best but never put too much stock in them. For one thing, grading can be subjective. I know it sounds cliche but what matters is how much you've learned in the class.

I don't think you have a chance with this teacher and I'll tell you why. I've taught college courses and your writing style is better than 90 percent of college freshmen. If you want to convince him of your writing style, ask him if you can write something in front of him so he can watch you. It's hard for me to believe you're in high school. Your writing is very good, very mature and far above the level of most young people I've enountered.

Sorry, sometimes it doesn't pay to be good. But don't change.

• Author

I appreciate all of your replies. I mentioned the problem I'm having to my mother, and she flipped. She's extremely upset, and Back to School Night is next Wednesday. I'm thinking my best option, although I'd love to confront him about it, would be to just continue doing good work. It may seem cowardly to let Mommy handle it, but if my mom goes off on him, I'd be subliminally seperate from her, yes?

This isn't the first time a writing teacher has thought I might be cheating, but it's definitely the first time one has passively dismissed the work without confronting me about it.

Tony, you took the words right out of my fingertips.

Dyer, you REALLY are an impressive young mind. I honestly thought you were of the same vintage as the guy in the picture. It's not just your writing style that impresses me, it's the substance of what you write. I think Harvard's got a seat waiting for you in a year or two, my friend.

Tony, you took the words right out of my fingertips.

Dyer, you REALLY are an impressive young mind. I honestly thought you were of the same vintage as the guy in the picture. It's not just your writing style that impresses me, it's the substance of what you write. I think Harvard's got a seat waiting for you in a year or two, my friend.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tony and Amer. Dyer, you have the ability to express yourself with clarity, concision and compassion, which is wholly beyond most adults--let alone someone of your tender years. You're a natural.

This is one of those times when you're a victim of your precocity.

It happens.

Good luck in straightening things out.

Sorry, sometimes it doesn't pay to be good

Dyer, listen to these EXTREMELY wise words of Tony's. You will likely encounter similar situations throughout your life. There is an aspect of anti-intellectualism in North American society; bright people are often resented. Never let it bother you. You may fare better because you're a man, mind you, and if you do go into law (think that's what I recall reading), it will serve you well but 'till you get to university, you will find more of these knobs to have to deal with. :(

Dyer, you're too good for law school or Harvard. Not only are you brilliant, but you're also a real human being, with compassion, etc. Don't want to get too goopy here, because I know teenage men don't care for that. And I wouldn't recommend accelerating your education. I like what I believe you said once about enjoying your youth for what it is...or something like that. It's a recipe for a happy and fulfilling life...to love where you are, and what you have, and make the most of your 15 year old pleasures when you are 15. Because when you're 30, or 50, those same pleasures will not be available to you.

Maybe I'm just jealous because you seem so much more whole and happier than I was when I was young.

Oh yeah...plagiarism. I once had a false accusation in college, based on the same sort of f***-up argument. I used the phrase "clerical power broking" to describe political machinations of the medieval popes, and also referred to Tillyard's Elizabethan World Picture (assigned reading in my high school English class). Not too amazing for an elite university, I would have thought. But I took all my notes and drafts to a sympathetic dean who intervened with the nasty professor, and got my name and grade cleared. I can still remember it all these years later...

Originally posted by SoleMate

But I took all my notes and drafts to a sympathetic dean who intervened with the nasty professor, and got my name and grade cleared.

Maybe a meeting with the Principal, teacher, your Mom and yourself.....WOULD be in order. Bring your notes....

At least you know everyone in here is believing in you Dyer and stand with you in spirit.

• Author

Thanks everyone, I honestly appreciate it.

The guy's been teaching for sixty years, and is very well liked. It's not even like I hate his class, except that his tests are very tough, his grading system is cryptically subjective, and he only gives one A, his class is great. He's good at engaging you in the material and such.

Our school goes on the block system, so we get new classes each semester. The assignment in question was our summer reading project, so he graded it without knowing me, I just started his class. It was a terrible way to start things off, and I still think it was wrong for him to go about his suspicions in the dismissive manner in which he did.

My mother is unstoppable at this point, and if he decides to come to me with any issues he may have, per her suggestion, I'll just make my position clear. I'll try not to get too emotional about it.

I understand what you're saying about it not paying to be good, but at this point, I refuse to lower my standards of myself to fit in.

Oh, no. Never lower your own standards. Just understand that you may come under assault for not doing so. Take it from me ;)

>>>I understand what you're saying about it not paying to be good, but at this point, I refuse to lower my standards of myself to fit in.<<<

That's exactly the attitude you should have. I think the reality is he hasn't seen a student like you in years (if ever). You're paying for being so far ahead of the curve, but again, don't dumb yourself down.

I don't know...my gut tells me that you should do what I recommended earlier. Try to convince your mother to let her handle this one on your own first before she gets involved. It's natural for any mother who loves her son and has as much pride in him as she does for you to want to rip this guy's head off, but part of being a mother is letting her son get comfortable handling these situations on his own. If you were just some kid, I'd say "Sure, let mom handle it." But you're not just some kid, Dyer. You act like a man. And in the adult world, this is what men do - they handle it on their own.

I'd just tell the teacher that you need to speak to him in private sometime after class, and that you'd appreciate a moment of his time. If he's a man of honor, he should give you that opportunity; if he doesn't give you that opportunity, then you should get your mother involved. I think this will only show him further who he's dealing with here - that he's not dealing with just another kid; he's dealing with a man in a young man's body.

And when you finally do talk to your prof, just try to give him the respect he's looking for while at the same time respectfully taking exception to his comments. All you really have to say is that you work hard for your grades and that you take academic integrity and your reputation seriously, and that you feel these comments reflect poorly on both...and that over the course of the next few months, you'll prove to him that you are indeed the man who wrote this paper!

Just a thought.

• Author
Originally posted by amerikajin

Just a thought.

And a great one at that, I guess I didn't see it that way. I entertained the question, do I value the grade he gives me more than the impression he has of me? No.

I'll talk with him, my only concern was that I'd get a bit irational about it, but I think I can handle it. It's not like I've done anything wrong.

Good luck, my friend - not only now, but in the future. God knows this world needs a good young mind like yours.

• 1 month later...

i did a speech on Darwin and was accused of plagiarism as well. Must be something about Darwin. However, in my case, and i don't know about yours, if i'm accused one more time i can be booted out, which will really piss me off. i've never taken so much as a thought from anyone else in my entire life. if you get threatened with a similar action ask for an academic review. i'm going to.

Darkangelism

The Chosen is all about Zionism. You prolly just have a bad teacher. Kinda like my brother's teacher who told him that Africa was a country.

Plagiarism is not a light subject. Your teacher must prove that you have stolen work. Simply marking you down under suspicion is ridiculous.

Accusing someone of such an immoral act, and copyright infringement, is not something I would do unless I had proof. I do not think your instructor would appreciate you accusing him of crimes.

Perhaps if there was ample enough time within this man's class you could author a paper before his eyes. If he cannot see that you have some form of talent after this then I would recommend speaking to a superior about your dilemma, and perhaps transferring to another class.

This man must have seen some of your essay responses on tests I am certain. I realize you can place far more effort and time into a project made at home, but your ability will jump out in anything you do. He must see this somehow.

I would highly recommend bringing your concerns before the higher-ups. If you are being accused of plagiarism, and it cannot be proved you have commited the crime, then the teacher will look foolish.

• Author
Originally posted by faux

Perhaps if there was ample enough time within this man's class you could author a paper before his eyes.

This man must have seen some of your essay responses on tests I am certain.

He has, and he's since apologized--sorry about the lack of updating.

CaterpillarGirl
Originally posted by Darkangelism

Kinda like my brother's teacher who told him that Africa was a country.

Off-topic, I know, but George W. Bush also stated this in one of his election debates in 2000. Hey, if the president says it's so....