Hello LS

Ive been lurking for a while and recently read 'is your job your life' thread and decided to post.

Im a high school teacher and am quite worried as to how much my job has taken over my life. I'm 30 and have no time to meet anyone. In fact when I come home from work I don't particularly want to see or talk to anyone as I am swamped by colleagues and kids 8am-4pm.

Im pretty sure that im not prioritising and take my job way too seriously. I have to keep reminding myself this is just a darn job and that if I die tomorrow what will it all have been worth??

Has anyone been in the same boat and what did you do?

I'd appreciate any advice as Im afraid that life will just pass me by...

Negative Nancy

I know how you feel cos in my job I have to talk alot, be it on the phone or face to face. Since I am an introverted person that recharges her batteries by spending time alone, you can imagine what that kind of job does to me: after I get home, I just wanna be left the f*** alone for a while, and then it's too late to go out and during the week I never go out anyway anymore because it gets too late.

My solution is applying my old early 20s lifestyle: I would go to some kind of sports every day after work back then (gym, kickboxing classes), 6 times a week. And although that sounds exhausting, I actually had more energy then than I'm having now. I think it's true if people claim that going to the gym gives you extra energy.

So I plan on doing that again because that way I can kill two birds with one stone: I can still be left alone and have me-time in the gym since I work out by myself with headphones on, yet at the same time I increase my energy to maybe go out after the gym if I want to, thus increasing my work-(social) life - balance.

• Author

Thanks NN. My other problem is that I have a hefty work load. I bring work home and work on Sunday's too. I don't plan much as I know I have work to do. I have realised that prioritising/ organisation and using time wisely might help me but find it hard to put it into action.

I love the gym too but have got bored of that.

OP...i was in your shoes a few years ago with my current job..i became consumed by the high stress and the deadlines. I put on weight, quit dating and generally did not have much of a life because work exhausted me. I would encourage you to set boundries with students, parents, colleagues. Allow yourself a social life and me time, AND DO NOT take work home unless absolutely necessary