should I ask for a job? Volunteered

I did full time volunteer work for the good part of 8 months, nights, mornings, weekends, while I was laid off. It seems a few other volunteers that I worked with have all received jobs. They told me I was one of the hardest workers they have seen, but they never asked if I needed help with anything nor offered to help me get a job. I Never asked because I feel uncomfortable asking in case they say no. But they still call me when they need favors. But all the other volunteers have moved on to paying jobs in the same sector. I may not have a fancy degree like some of them but I have outworked them. But im not good at shmuzing, and self promotion. I figured if they liked me they would ask me to work for them. They knew I was unemployed.. But nothing has ever been said and I never asked. I put in hours and hours of effort and now starting to feel if I was used. Is part of It m fault cause I never asked for a job straight out? What should I do?

Edited by Confused728

if you want a job - simply ask them. they can either say yes or no...

but they may not even know you WANT a paid job unless you allow them to understand what you DO want. ask!

I agree with 2sunny. Let them know that you're interested in a job, but realize that many not necessarily mean you'll get one.

I volunteered at a library for 1.5 years, and I really liked it there, liked the people, it was very close to my house. They told me how great I was, I even won the Volunteer of the Year award! I wanted to work there very much. I applied for jobs there online many times, told them I wanted to work there, they listened, yet nothing every happened in that regard. I think it being a government job there were more restrictions and processes in hiring than if it's was a company. I was bummed, but at least I knew I had tried and done what I could.

Good luck!

Do these positions require a degree? You cite it as a difference between the others and yourself.

Make your interest known. Learn to network for future opportunities. Both are central for gaining most quality positions.

• Author

I just don't know why they wouldn't have asked me or something. And yes this was in the "Public Sector"

How do you network? I go to alot of events with high profile people but i dont know how to do it. I feel nervous and I kinda feel sleazy doing it like im out begging for something. I know thats probably not how to look at it. But i feel that way. I don't know how to act at those social events and they make me very tense.