What would you do in this situation?

taintedlove

I work in a position where one of my duties is the recruitment of staff. I would like to know what the people in LS would do in the following work situation:

If you were one of the people in charge of hiring in a group seminar, would you pick a job applicant who you were attracted to have a 1 on 1 interview with? This is mostly for the men but it can be reversed for a female's perspective.

General question:

Would you hire someone you found really attractive to work under you?

Relationship status might play a role in this. For married men and women, is it more possible you will not pick the applicant you are attracted to for the role because of temptation to cheat? This is assuming that there are a few job applicants you can pick from with the same level of job skills and expertise.

Thanks for your opinions!

Feelin Frisky

I don't like to invite complications so I'd try to not entertain any such impulse. If it came to a neck and neck decision between her (and she didn't have tattoos:p) and someone else, I'd probably go for the better one to look at if she were going to work directly for me every day.

I think if it were between several equally skilled, I would choose the one I got on best with in terms of personality. If that happened to be the good-looking one, then I guess then I would choose them, but I think good looks can be a distraction from whether or not the person is good or can do the job. In my experience (and when I was not recruiting), the good-looking ones were much more likely to be chosen. Just look at the top people in any profession and more often than not they have good looks.

I'd choose the most qualified, because regardless of their looks, my hires reflect negatively or positively on ME, so I'd want to hire the person that is going to make me look best- not the person that simply looks the best.

Mrlonelyone

As much as people say that only qualifications matter in real life better looking people earn more money for the same job.

While I would like to think only qualifications would matter. In a tie in terms of credentials and experience, the more attractive person (looks+ personality) would get the job. All other things being equal that tiny bit can tip the scale.

As much as people say that only qualifications matter in real life better looking people earn more money for the same job.

While I would like to think only qualifications would matter. In a tie in terms of credentials and experience, the more attractive person (looks+ personality) would get the job. All other things being equal that tiny bit can tip the scale.

Perhaps in some industries this is the case. Sad but true.

I manage a sales team, so in order for me to look good, meet my targets, make my bonus every month, I need a team beneath me that is going to show me the money.

I don't care what they look like- as long as they can sell for me. Fat, skinny, Black, White, Asian, old, young.... I'm going to hire the person that can help my team meet our goals.

A hot guy is useless to me if he can't sell for me.

I've been part of the recruiter side of things a couple of times, and each time my decision has been down to personality. If I feel I can work well with the person, that's what I go with. Assuming a similar ability to learn in most people, our ability to teach and learn together is what makes the difference.

I've also selected house mates and once had the choice between two stunning Czech girls sharing the room, and a couple. I admit we were tempted by the girls, but were instantly turned off when the prettier of the two started on about cleaning and tidying.

I've worked with a sales director who would hire personal assistanst who'd be a former glamour models, f*ck her, sack her, rinse and repeat, on a 3 month rotational basis. He's divorced now, but appears to be getting along with his kids much better and has got through that mid-life crisis stage.

A hot guy is useless to me if he can't sell for me.

That's me out of the running.

The chances are if I were hiring it would be for a secretary - and they're usually female. However I suppose it could be a male...but that would more likely be a student on holiday doing some temporary work, and way too young for me to think of in romantic terms.

As the first face new clients would usually see, I'd want them to be warm, welcoming and friendly looking rather than "hot". Somebody clients wouldn't feel intimidated/judged by and uncomfortable around.

One company I worked for only had attractive people working there - specifically, the support staff. It eventually was almost a joke.. they didn't hire admins or receptionists unless they were gorgeous and shapely. I know this to be true... I assisted the personnel manager with some interviewing for an executive at one point and saw the notes he wrote on the resumes of people he interviewed!