Must consider Company Culture before applying?

I'm reading in the net that Company culture should be one of the most important things we look at when searching for jobs.

Well, and as I've discovered by being laid off because i was the only quiet guy in a company full of talkative loud mouths, it does seem to be because if you don't fit in , they don't even want you.

So that means, i'm gonna be pretty limited cause all the companies are mostly ful of loud gossipy people. I've never fit in in any company i've been in.

You do your best, you're always on time and almost never absent, and apparently that doesn't seem to matter to companies.

They just care about whther you're gossipy like them or not.

mm, that sucks.

Feelin Frisky

They just care about whether you're gossipy like them or not.

mm, that sucks.

I urge that you don't actually believe in that gross generality you put forth there. No one wants people because they are simply loud mouths and "gossipy". And not all company cultures are the same. Some companies even think they have good cultures and they are actually dysfunctional dinosaurs. Here are some things to consider:

- people in companies always want to feel like they have chosen who works for them and they don't like "inheriting" other people's choices. Make sure you find out who is choosing you and who you will actually report to. You don't want to be a "necessary evil" pushed on someone who isn't really doing the choosing.

- company culture more often means do people there try to outdo each other in the enthusiasm for the job by coming in early and always staying late. Some companies have that kind of unspoken culture where they talk about you negatively if you're only say, fifteen minutes early instead of forty five minutes early every day. God forbid you should only come in on time. Other places may make it a point NOT to be that way and don't want to create silly pressures for phony fronts.

- make sure when you discuss employment that the company knows what it wants out of you. I've had bad experiences with companies who just like to "collect talent" and then deploy them. It absolutely sucks to go to work and not have clear work to accomplish and then just have to kill time "appearing" engaged. That is such BS but it's happened three times to me and it's largely because they don't understand the technology they are hiring me deploy. They didn't have long range thought out policies which could flesh out the dimensions of individual jobs and therefore kept talent in this wacky position of wondering what the hell is what every time. This is a critical company culture thing--especially if you're on the cutting edge of technology. Do they understand the technologies you'll use or do they think they can throw you and a computer in a room and call it a solution.

- some company cultures are about social connection outside the job. If that is a stumbling block say so.

good luck

Mrlonelyone

I don't know about where you are living quiet guy. Around here just consider this aspect of company culture before applying.

Do they pay you? Have their paychecks ever bounced? Are their clients paying them?

Bag the rest of that stuff. You worked with some unprofessional jack@$$es before. Not everyone is like that.