I'm Having a Really Hard Time at Work

In March I started a new position as a legal secretary in a new type of law. I did not misrepresent myself in the interview, as a matter of fact I made it pretty clear that I didn't practice much law at my last position.

My 3 month review came up and my boss decided not to give me my much needed and promised raise which I need for living expenses. He wants me to stick the job out anyway and get better - which I'm trying to do.

However, my boss berates me constantly. He says that he's there for help, but when I ask him to help me at 11:30 I don't get any help for the entire day even when I remind him...and then he gets mad at me when I don't do something right. Well the reason I didn't get it right was because you didn't help me when I asked for it 3 hours ago.

My anxiety is through the roof about this job, I NEED the experience to continue in a field I love, I can't just find a new job at the moment, but I don't know what to do. Normally I deal with stress great, but my boss is making me feel really inadequate even though I am literally giving this job my all.

I'm not sure what to do. I keep a notebook of everything he says, write down EVERYTHING I do every day, any advice?

Excalibur1814

Ok, step by step.

- Accept that it's your boss at fault, You are asking for help and if 'he' would do his job he would provide that help or provide an avenue for help

- When you ask for help, write down the date and time and why you asked fo... :bunny: You already do this :cool:

- Buy books. My partner is a legal sec and I can REALLY appreciate what you're going through.

I've heard stories of horrible men and women in the legal area and these people simply can't seem to take stress very well. High paid, comfy chair and want to stay in that comfort zone. It is WRONG for someone to ignore requests for help!

Now that you're fully aware of your position then now is the time to realise that it's not you! Please don't put pressure on yourself and although it's easy to say that on an internet forum... :) Deep breaths, take control, see this person for what he is. No-one can do anything to you unless YOU let them.

Ok:

The next time you ask for help, recall exactly what it was regarding and the next time he gets mad, wait until he's finished and then sit right in front of him and in a very calm voice, looking straight into his eyes,

"I asked you for help/to show me how to do x/y earlier today and furthermore I do not appreciate you loosing your temper. If you'd like to show me how to do x/y i will make sure that it's complete"

You then take control of the situation and you'll be surprised how people actually respond to a level headed reply such as the one above. I do hope that things get better for you as it's absolutely horrible to feel the way you are feeling. if you nip this in the bud now, you'll be prepared for the next person that does the same thing as Legal work seems to be full of this type of thing.