Does it matter where you went to college?

I recently graduated from a decent state school. I graduated Magna Cum Laude and overall spent about $1,000 on my education. I now have 35k in left over funds with 18k my parents saved for my education.

I am wondering if graduating very highly from a mediocre college will allow me to accomplish my dreams, or if I need to go back to school, this time at a prestigious university like Miami, and get an advanced degree. Thing is I know people who are unemployed who went to prestigious schools and unlike me they have huge debt payments. Does it really matter where you go to college? Can I still achieve the same amount of success from a not well known public institution?

http://dress-soul.ru/index.php?categoryID=9092 -Nash Internet magazin predostavljaet ogromnoe raznoobrazie klubnoj odezhdy, zhenskaja i muzhskaja odezhda, futbolki, rejv odezhdu, a tak zhe cvetnye prikol'nye futbolki i majki, kofty s dlinnym rukavom, klubnye tolstovki, plat'ja, jarkie muzhskie zhiletki, panamki, archetypal'nye shtany, cvetnye sumki, klubnuju atributiku dlja raznoobraznyh tematicheskih vecherinok.Aksessuary.Chasy,soks,bejdzh. http://dress-soul.ru/ Our online store offers a huge variety of club clothes, women's and men's clothing, shirts, rave clothing, as well as colored funny t-shirts and tank tops, blouses with long sleeves, club sweatshirts, dresses, bright men's vests, panamki, original pants, colorful handbags, club memorabilia for a variety of thematic vecherinok.Aksessuary.Chasy, socks, name badge.
EyesWideOpen
I recently graduated from a decent state school. I graduated Magna Cum Laude and overall spent about $1,000 on my education. I now have 35k in left over funds with 18k my parents saved for my education.

I am wondering if graduating very highly from a mediocre college will allow me to accomplish my dreams, or if I need to go back to school, this time at a prestigious university like Miami, and get an advanced degree. Thing is I know people who are unemployed who went to prestigious schools and unlike me they have huge debt payments. Does it really matter where you go to college? Can I still achieve the same amount of success from a not well known public institution?

I have heard the arguments that a better school will...

1) have better recruitment opportunities. Recruiters are more likely to give attention to the bigger schools - thus expanding both the number of options as well as the calibur of options.

2) have better name recognition, which translates into a better competitive advantage when looking for jobs.

As to whether any of that is actually true? I don't really know.

What I do know is that I followed the advice. I felt like the education I got for my bachelors at a state college was of a better quality than I received at the university graduate program.

And the university did have more programs/organizations/fraternities than the state college. Whether that or the university's name has actually provided a sizable advantage for me? *shrug*

It all depends what you plan on doing with the eduction you have acquired. You can take that knowledge and turn in to useful service. But it all up to you my friend.

• Author

I have a history degree as well, which while being a highly respectable field in liberal arts, garners zero respect from people who ask me "what are you gonna be a teacher". No, I'm confident I can do a hell of a lot better job than some frat boy with a 2.3 in Business. Yet He'll make 53k starting and I'll make 38k, when he probably can't even read.

Bottom line I am not getting even phone interviews three months into my job search. I need to make a move, whether it be bold, reckless or even unethical. I'm considering just lying on my resume and saying I have a business degree, because I'm not starting college over for it and I am more than confident I can do these jobs I am applying for. Also considering just upgrading my alma mater just for kicks, I'm not saying I'm going to actually take the job but I'll at least know just what it is on my resume that holds me back.

Edited by Thedude22
Darren Taylor

Obviously, college isn't required. It all depends on what you're looking to do. If you're looking to be a teacher or work for a small private company in your hometown, a respectable school will do. If you're looking to be a lawyer or doctor, that's another story.

I never went to college. I cut hair and model part time for a living. Like I said, college certainly doesn't hurt but it's not a requirement. Life is all about who you know. If you know the right people, your education doesn't matter much.

• Author
Obviously, college isn't required. It all depends on what you're looking to do. If you're looking to be a teacher or work for a small private company in your hometown, a respectable school will do. If you're looking to be a lawyer or doctor, that's another story.

I never went to college. I cut hair and model part time for a living. Like I said, college certainly doesn't hurt but it's not a requirement. Life is all about who you know. If you know the right people, your education doesn't matter much.

All I want to do is get the **** out of here honestly. I'm tired of living where I am and I'm tired of being who I am and I want new friends. I can't move anywhere without a decent job though, especially one in someplace that has intelligent, cultured people in it.

I'm seriously considering just taking all my money and either making my own business or just let it ride in some stock with the hopes I make some scratch. There are no handouts in this job market and I'm willing to bust some skulls and take some risks to make it out of this cultural wasteland. I just don't know when I say enough is enough and risk everything for a better life.