Should I feel guilty for not giving 2 week notice?

Country_Girl

I kind of feel like ass right now as I have given my employer 1 week notice. I would have given 2 weeks but I work a graveyard shift, and it would conflict with my new schedule at another place & I really don't want my performance to lack in this new job due to fatigue. This new job will be paying $3.50 more per hour, will actually give me full time hours (40) and benefits (I don't have health coverage right now). I don't know, I just feel I owe it to the new employer since they seem to have my best interest right now.

The place I'm working now, it's nothing I can advance in. Maybe I could, but management wouldn't let it happen (they down talk everyone) and even if it were to happen, I wouldn't want it. That's how terrible the job is, even management sucks. How do I know? Well, my assistant manager watches "Glee" in the back office all day, so she leaves me her work to do. The store manager does similar, so not am I left trying to complete all my tasks for the night, but they leave me a list of things to do for the both of them. It's not fair, I don't mind taking on extra responsibility, but it's going no where and the purpose of it is so they don't have to do their jobs. I don't get paid manager salary, so why am I left doing their work, while they get paid for it, and I am stuck at minimum wage.

I'm not respected at all. We had a full time employee leave 3 weeks ago, so I asked if I could have her shift (the hrs were great, normal, not graveyard- plus I would have 40 hrs, not my current 21). Manager said sorry, they don't want us getting too close to 40 hrs, and that I need to be working their longer (more practice). So what did they do? Hired someone brand new, gave them the 40 hrs, and this person had no experience. They are struggling with that decision to this day, as the person cannot complete all the days work.

So, I got the follow up call on a job I applied for. A great job with potential for advancement, a job I wanted so bad I had to bike 8 miles to the nearest bus station. I got it. So, I gave my employer notice the other night, said it would be my last week. They are pretty much treating me like **** now, in fact, I'm pretty sure if they had a replacement for me they would have fired me.

I feel guilty, but I don't know if I should. I feel like it's one of those situations where, if I didn't screw them first, they would have screwed me. The only thing that keeps me from being a "no show" my following shifts is because someone will have to work overtime because they are short handed.

You gave as much notice as humanly possible. You deserve more money and healthcare benefits. Your former employers may grumble, but they can't blame you for taking a better job. Try not to let their negative attitude get you down in your last week. Imagine the bills you can pay with your extra income.

Congratulations on the new job and with earning more money to live on.

silvermane187

Sounds like they screwed you over and got what they deserved. If I were you I wouldn't have given them any notice at all.

I kind of feel like ass right now as I have given my employer 1 week notice. I would have given 2 weeks but I work a graveyard shift, and it would conflict with my new schedule at another place & I really don't want my performance to lack in this new job due to fatigue. This new job will be paying $3.50 more per hour, will actually give me full time hours (40) and benefits (I don't have health coverage right now). I don't know, I just feel I owe it to the new employer since they seem to have my best interest right now.

The place I'm working now, it's nothing I can advance in. Maybe I could, but management wouldn't let it happen (they down talk everyone) and even if it were to happen, I wouldn't want it. That's how terrible the job is, even management sucks. How do I know? Well, my assistant manager watches "Glee" in the back office all day, so she leaves me her work to do. The store manager does similar, so not am I left trying to complete all my tasks for the night, but they leave me a list of things to do for the both of them. It's not fair, I don't mind taking on extra responsibility, but it's going no where and the purpose of it is so they don't have to do their jobs. I don't get paid manager salary, so why am I left doing their work, while they get paid for it, and I am stuck at minimum wage.

I'm not respected at all. We had a full time employee leave 3 weeks ago, so I asked if I could have her shift (the hrs were great, normal, not graveyard- plus I would have 40 hrs, not my current 21). Manager said sorry, they don't want us getting too close to 40 hrs, and that I need to be working their longer (more practice). So what did they do? Hired someone brand new, gave them the 40 hrs, and this person had no experience. They are struggling with that decision to this day, as the person cannot complete all the days work.

So, I got the follow up call on a job I applied for. A great job with potential for advancement, a job I wanted so bad I had to bike 8 miles to the nearest bus station. I got it. So, I gave my employer notice the other night, said it would be my last week. They are pretty much treating me like **** now, in fact, I'm pretty sure if they had a replacement for me they would have fired me.

I feel guilty, but I don't know if I should. I feel like it's one of those situations where, if I didn't screw them first, they would have screwed me. The only thing that keeps me from being a "no show" my following shifts is because someone will have to work overtime because they are short handed.

Some guy at my job gave a one day notice-lol So I don't think there is anything wrong with a 1 week notice.