Better opportunity after finding job

Hey guys,

Long story short, I was in management in IT when I was laid off in January. Like a lot of people, in this economy, finding a job is difficult, especially harder when it's in management. I've even extended my search beyond my home market - other towns, and other states.

So I finally found a job, and it's a major step down, as it now just tech support position. I've been there 2 weeks now.

So on friday, I've gotten a call from a headhunter in another state, and he presented me an opportunity in management once again. I'm going to go for it, however, I feel bad about leaving my current new job, especially since they are already planning to send me to training.

Now here's my dilemma. If I do pursue this other opportunity, I most likely won't be able to start until after the training my current job is going to send me to. If y'all were in my position, how would you handle this. I don't want to seem ungrateful for my current positions, however, the other opportunity is much better. What would you do?

Sorry to hear about the loss and I might be in that same boat.

I suggest not saying anything when you don't have the other job lined up. Right now you are still within the trial period and if you say something, you may be out of this job and not have another job.

• Author
Sorry to hear about the loss and I might be in that same boat.

I suggest not saying anything when you don't have the other job lined up. Right now you are still within the trial period and if you say something, you may be out of this job and not have another job.

Thanks Jerbear. I definitely don't want to do that.:D In all honesty, it'll probably take a month or a little over for the interview process to complete (if I get that far) at this new proposed opportunity, at which point I'll probably be 2 mos into the job I'm in now. And since it's out of state, I'll probably tell them it'll take a month for me to go there.

I know I'm counting my goose before it's cooked, but I truly feel I have a great shot at it, and I just want to be prepared. If it doesn't happen, the worst result is I still have this current job. If it does happen however, I just think it would be so awkward to quit after going through the training they are sending me to.

Unless you signed a contract, you are free to leave your current job whenever you like.

A word of advice from experience, do NOT tell them it will take you a month to get to this new job. They will count that against you and if there is an applicant with similar experience they will pick them over you for the shorter start date.

I've been there, it happens.