Does this sound like my boss is NOT going to fire me?

I decided to send my boss yet another e-mail

I just wished a happy new year to him and his family. I didn't bring up the fact that he hasn't responded to my previous e-mails.

It wasn't work related and in context of him not responding to my last 5 e-mails probably not the best idea. I just felt very uneasy and wanted to make peace despite him being a complete a-hole to me :( Yep, I am a doormat :rolleyes:

He responded with this:

---------------------

Hi OceanGirl,

Many thanks for your new year’s wishes. I most likely will not be back at work until X January since I have the <name> short course in Canberra on dates X and will probably take annual leave for the rest of the next two weeks. I’ll let you know.

I have four emails from you dated X Y Z W December to which I have not yet replied. I apologise for this tardiness, and will most likely attempt a consolidated response to these before we meet later in January.

Enjoy the break, I’m looking forward to another very good year (and beyond!) working with you at <our departement> and on the <name> project. (don’t forget the move to the boove, or as I like to say the “Mouvre au Bouvre” in March!).

New Years Cheers,

Boss

Hi OceanGirl,

Many thanks for your new year’s wishes. I most likely will not be back at work until X January since I have the <name> short course in Canberra on dates X and will probably take annual leave for the rest of the next two weeks. I’ll let you know.

I have four emails from you dated X Y Z W December to which I have not yet replied. I apologise for this tardiness, and will most likely attempt a consolidated response to these before we meet later in January.

Enjoy the break, I’m looking forward to another very good year (and beyond!) working with you at <our departement> and on the <name> project. (don’t forget the move to the boove, or as I like to say the “Mouvre au Bouvre” in March!).

New Years Cheers,

Boss

How could you possibly interpret the above as "You're about to be fired! Muahahaha!!" ??? :confused:

It doesn't sound like he is planning to fire you, but please reconsider your practice of bombing him with email while he is having a holiday break with his family. There is no call for that unless it is a business emergency.

desertIslandCactus

Sounds real good and hopeful.

Irresponsible he is - for accepting your personal email with good wishes, while Ignorring the business email that hindered your productivity ..

All you can do for now is to continue to play his game.

Lauriebell82

It doesn't sound like he is going to fire you, HOWEVER, I must caution you that bosses sometimes tell you what you want to hear. My old company tricked me into thinking my job was safe when it really wasn't. Just be careful.

I would lay off the emails for now and just concentrate on doing your job. Don't worry about office politics, don't look for reassurance or try to find "hidden meaning" in everything they say. It will just drive you nuts. If they are going to fire you, they will. Just lay low and go about your business.

I never really understood why you thought he was firing you in the first place :confused: Now get to work :p:)

Well, it's not an ironclad promise he won't or anything, but I see no inkling of any issues there, except you bombing him with emails. Sometimes being still really is the best action. You could do with a bit of stillness in your life.

I have four emails from you dated X Y Z W December to which I have not yet replied. I apologize for this tardiness, and will most likely attempt a consolidated response to these before we meet later in January.

Hmm.....

apologize, consolidate response, before we meet

All this related while on personal family time during a holiday period....

Hmm....

IMO, the sound of silence might have portended better things. I know I'll do something like this when someone annoys me enough with their contacts. How it reads doesn't necessarily convey how I feel or what I will do. YMMV. Hope the other part of the e-mail is the relevant part, about 'another good year and beyond working with you'.

Slightly off-topic, is your boss aware of the situation with your parents?