I've been working for my company for 6 years. I have a good relationship with everyone I work with including my boss. The money is just not what I feel I deserve at this point. I manage a Real Estate Portfolio of 200 properties and manage about 10 people. No one here is capable of stepping into my shoes right away. So my question is, what kind of notice should I give now that a better opportunity has presented itself?

desertIslandCactus
I've been working for my company for 6 years. I have a good relationship with everyone I work with including my boss. The money is just not what I feel I deserve at this point. I manage a Real Estate Portfolio of 200 properties and manage about 10 people. No one here is capable of stepping into my shoes right away. So my question is, what kind of notice should I give now that a better opportunity has presented itself?

Under the circumstances there is even a possibility that they will try to negotiate with you for a higher salary.

Since it appears you may not be as replaceable as some, would a month be too much for you ? Or to volunteer to do your job on a parttime basis while working for the other company ? I have given a lot of notice with some of my past employers who treated me nice.

If you really want to quit, you will want to make the new job your priority, right? And any new employer would want you to start asap, no?

I think you should take your new job into consideration, rather than trying to please the employer you're leaving. Anyway, the starting date for the new job will be discussed and most likely agreed during the interview, so that's where you can mention your concerns about giving notice. Maybe the new company understands your situation.

• Author

Thanks for the responses. My situation is unique in that I have a good frienndship with my boss' kids. Also, I would be staying in the same field and may look to work with him on some things in the future. Our company gets paid almost $100,000 a month to manage this portfolio...I do 90% of the work and get less than 10% of that. Previous attempts to negotiate a higher salary have been unsucessful as the company itself is in financial trouble (due to decisions made by my boss). There is a chance that the company we help could pull the entire portfolio if I left. So there's a lot at stake here....

GorillaTheater

I wouldn't give your employer anything less than two weeks notice. Don't burn any bridges you don't have to. And yes, I'd say first give them the opportunity to match your salary. Or would you not want to continue working there even if they could match it?

• Author
I wouldn't give your employer anything less than two weeks notice. Don't burn any bridges you don't have to. And yes, I'd say first give them the opportunity to match your salary. Or would you not want to continue working there even if they could match it?

I would be starting my own company. At this point he'd have to knock my socks off. I just want to be able to leave on good terms. I was thinking 4-6 weeks, in the interim i'll be gearing up on my own anyway...

GorillaTheater
I would be starting my own company. At this point he'd have to knock my socks off. I just want to be able to leave on good terms. I was thinking 4-6 weeks, in the interim i'll be gearing up on my own anyway...

Sounds like a plan. I don't know what you have in mind as far as bring clients with you, but that would probably effect staying on good terms. Whether they see it as normal business or whether they take it a bit more personally.

Did you sign a non-competition agreement? I'm not sure they're enforceable in your state (they're not in California), but make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you give notice.

GorillaTheater
Did you sign a non-competition agreement? I'm not sure they're enforceable in your state (they're not in California), but make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you give notice.

Excellent point. Texas frowns on non-competes as well, but it's certainly worth checking on.

• Author
Sounds like a plan. I don't know what you have in mind as far as bring clients with you, but that would probably effect staying on good terms. Whether they see it as normal business or whether they take it a bit more personally.

I'm going in a different direction, drumming up new business for myself. I'm not trying to steal clients, just trying to get paid :). i'm confident enough that i'll be able to go in a different direction without bumping heads. The problem is that he has no replacement for me. They just don't know the business and he does have the ability to grab the reins all by himself. I ask him for more money, he said now wasn't the time but he would consider it down the line. That was 2 months ago. I'm just tired of doing the work and not being compensated while paying for everyone else's salary.

• Author

Never have signed anything. Thanks for the heads up though.