Two-pronged work question (crush and co-worker)

jean-luc sisko

This question is two-pronged. Here is the first point:

- I work in a university in Canada, and I am based in our HR department. There is a woman, about 27 or so, who works in the Provost office. The thing is I have a major crush on her, and would really like to date her. We work in different departments so is the phrase "don't poop where you eat?" mitigated?

Here is the second point:

- We have a co-worker in our team who frankly appears mentally ill. That sounds bad, but it's an honest appraisal of him. He continuously acts inappropriately, and hardly does any work. Much of his actions include:

- Having a naked woman on his work laptop

- Belching loudly in the office

- Playing loud music with profanity in it

He's becoming too distracting to work with. How can this situation be tackled?

• Author
jean-luc sisko
More information is needed.

Do you work with her at all? Do you work with people who work closely with her? Does your boss work with people who work with her? How connected is your department to her department? Do people from your department have regular communication with people from hers?

I don't work with her, and nobody I work with works with her closely. Our department also has a security planning function, and I work in this, and my boss doesn't interact closely with anybody there.

Are you his supervisor? Why is his supervisor not doing or saying anything? Are you the only co-worker who is aware of this? Why is everyone else not complaining?

I'm not his supervisor, but all of us in our team are aware of this.